Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few years of service, my Pod XT has given up the ghost. The screen simply says 'SRAM test passed'. I could probably get this sorted, but, to be perfectly honest, I'd really like to upgrade to something new; preferably something that sounds a little more 'real', and without the infamous 'fizz'.

So, I'm looking for recommendations and information about any modellers that you might think to be suitable. I've talked to Lyle about my options, but I thought that a thread would be helpful. I'd like to stick with modellers, simply because I have to play at relatively low volumes due to my living in student accommodation. I'd like to stay under £500 or so. I play a variety of styles. (Decent metal rhythm sounds are a must, in particular.)

Fire away. :D

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
HD400/500?
I just made the transition from XT Live to HD500 myself.

I've got plenty of complaints about the HD500, but I've also got plenty of good things to say about it. I was going to do a full review video on the thing later today but, for now, I will say this; The HD series gives you options. A LOT of them, but there's not always an obvious way to go about tweaking something... Downloading the "Advanced" manual from the Line 6 site is absolutely necessary... the one that comes with the unit is pretty fucking useless as are many of the factory presets.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HD400/500?
This thing?

This demo sounds scarily like Porcupine Tree. :lol:

I really like the sounds here. According to my google product searches, the X3 Pro is in a similar price vein. Would there be any major advantages to buying one over the other? The X3 seems to be more of a multi-instrument processor rather than guitar-specific, which isn't exactly what I want.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just made the transition from XT Live to HD500 myself.

I've got plenty of complaints about the HD500, but I've also got plenty of good things to say about it. I was going to do a full review video on the thing later today but, for now, I will say this; The HD series gives you options. A LOT of them, but there's not always an obvious way to go about tweaking something... Downloading the "Advanced" manual from the Line 6 site is absolutely necessary... the one that comes with the unit is pretty fucking useless as are many of the factory presets.
How does the HD500 perform when it comes to metal rhythm, Buzz? That was my main complaint about the XT; nearly every patch I made suffered from that awful 'fizz'.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
How does the HD500 perform when it comes to metal rhythm, Buzz? That was my main complaint about the XT; nearly every patch I made suffered from that awful 'fizz'.
I've got no complaints as far as tone goes... The models are certainly better than that of the XT, but for metal rhythm, I'm not really a good person to ask. It's sounding fantastic for the Judas Priest and Iron Maiden type stuff. I've heard some convincing patches on youtube, but I'm not sure about any post production work.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got no complaints as far as tone goes... The models are certainly better than that of the XT, but for metal rhythm, I'm not really a good person to ask. It's sounding fantastic for the Judas Priest and Iron Maiden type stuff. I've heard some convincing patches on youtube, but I'm not sure about any post production work.
:agreed: Yeah, there are a couple of fantastic high-gain rhythm demonstrations, some of which seem to be quite 'raw'. Hmmm, this is tempting. :idea:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
:agreed: Yeah, there are a couple of fantastic high-gain rhythm demonstrations, some of which seem to be quite 'raw'. Hmmm, this is tempting. :idea:
Well, I'll give it a go and post some clips for you to judge.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'll give it a go and post some clips for you to judge.
Would you? That'd be fantastic, man. :wub: I pernickety about metal rhythm tones because it really is the one type of patch that I cannot live without. And it seems as if cleans and the like are pretty good on the majority of Line 6 products, anyway.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Would you? That'd be fantastic, man. :wub: I pernickety about metal rhythm tones because it really is the one type of patch that I cannot live without. And it seems as if cleans and the like are pretty good on the majority of Line 6 products, anyway.
Working on it right now. :yesway:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts

Please excuse shitty playing lol.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:cheers: Cheers man. That's pretty close to what I was looking for. It still has some of that 'digital' factor, but then, it is being played into a webcam, and it is a modeller. I'm going to seriously consider this.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
It sounds a bit less digital running through an amp. That was essentially a new user setting.. Set the Bomber Uber as the model, Treadplate 4x12 as the cab, and an 87 condensor for the mic. I didn't even touch the drive or eq settings.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I probably mentioned this, but there's a POD HD bean on the way. Guitar Guitar posted pictures on their FB page, but they took them down pretty rapidly, probably because L6 made them take them down - they haven't announced them yet, and won't be for a while I think. There's also an M5 Stompbox Modeller on the way...

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I probably mentioned this, but there's a POD HD bean on the way. Guitar Guitar posted pictures on their FB page, but they took them down pretty rapidly, probably because L6 made them take them down - they haven't announced them yet, and won't be for a while I think. There's also an M5 Stompbox Modeller on the way...
:agreed: Yeah, you did mention it. Like I said, I'm in no hurry, so if anything new is released between now and May (when my exams end), I'll definitely give it consideration.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just my $.02. Unless you need a looper, a midi controller, or you like M series of floorboards that Line 6 has, get an X3 Live used (or new if you can still find them). IMO The HD 500 is a great toy, but it doesn't have have the swiss army versatility of X3 Live. I'm keeping my X3 Live (and am thinking about snagging another) it's that good of a studio tool.

What the HD does it does very well, the problem is it doesn't do very much and it lacks some pretty bread and butter amps (like the Peavey 5150 and JC-120). I've spent about a week now trying to transfer (re:recreate) my old sounds from my X3 and to be blunt it's been pretty nightmarish, especially with it now being so easy to overload the DSP. Don't even get me started on the editor, the GUI of which feels like it was programmed by rejects of a 1th grade GUI 101 class.

I've heard that other people have gotten some pretty decent recording from the X3 by using external impulses, and I'll be trying soon with the HD to see what happens.

If you were NEW to modeling I'd say go for it, as it is great fun, the amps really do 'feel' better and really response to your playing (especially the lower gain boutique models). I have t admit I find it insulting that L6 would charge the same for a unit which (amp sims wise) does about half of what it's predecessor did. Although to be fair, again, the looper is REALLY REALLY sweet.

Put another way, L6 should call this the M-HD as opposed to the POD HD, as this name is a more accurate reflection of what this unit does.

As an aside, I think L6 is completely giving up on "complete model virtualization" as all of their new stuff seems to say "plug me into an amp" even he new POD HD was designed to be the brain of their DT series, which (and I heard this directly from the rep's mouth) "effectively replaces the Vetta series". This all cool if you want to mike a modeled amp.(/rant)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
This all cool if you want to mike a modeled amp.(/rant)
Worked for Steven Wilson on Deadwing. Well, his was a bean plugged into a tube power amp, IIRC.

A bean, huh? Hmmm......that would be interesting. I don't really like the floorboard format, because i don't like being bound to always carrying the whole thing around. A bean would be nice though. I kinda miss my 2.0/XT/X3.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Worked for Steven Wilson on Deadwing. Well, his was a bean plugged into a tube power amp, IIRC.

I don't doubt that it works, or that it's a cool idea, IMO it just ignores the current reality of guitarist who are plugging into a unit and going direct to DAW (like many Axefx owners).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts