Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years late, but I finally got around to downloading a podcast app (Pocket Cast for Android. Seems pretty slick so far). I've already got Serial season 1 queued up, as well as Lore, Seeing Red (Red Bulls podcast) and the StoryWonk series on Star Wars because I'm a huge fuckin' nerd.

Anybody have any other favorites? I'd be particularly interested in ones that discuss history or a good policy-oriented political podcast.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I listen to quite a few:

Hardcore History (a MUST if you're interested in history. Start with Prophets of Doom)
Planet Money (interesting behavioral economics stuff)
Gastropod (incredibly interesting food podcast)
Judging John Hodgeman (really funny podcasts where comedian John Hodgeman acts as a judge for a couple's argument)
Invisibilia
Lore
Death, Sex & Money

I also use Pocket Casts and have been very happy with it.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
The Nerdist
The Bugle (John Oliver, thought it's mainly been bonus shows lately, not much John Oliver involvement, still hilarious)
Stuff You Should Know
Still Untitled: The Adam Savage Project
StarTalk Radio
Penn's Sunday School (I'm not much for his libertarian views, but his podcast is great)
Never Not Funny: The Jimmy Pardo Podcast
Smodcast (Kevin Smith)
Hollywood Babble-On (Kevin Smith and Ralph Garmin doing a weekly or so live on stage podcast about showbiz, it's great)
The Smartest Man in the World (Greg Proops, he's amazing, his podcasts are extremely funny, they're basically just stand-up shows, but he always has a boring preachy part, and if you lean left he's brilliant)
Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast
Freakonomics Radio
Edumucation (another Kevin Smith one, his cohost talks about smart shit, it's great)
Doug Loves Movies (Doug Benson movie podcast, it's a game show, it's really funny)
Cashing in with TJ Miller (TJ Miller and a guy named Cash, very funny, very out there, if you like TJ Miller (long, curly haired guy from Silicon Valley) you'll love this one)

This list is why I almost never listen to music :lol:

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn, thanks dudes!

This list is why I almost never listen to music :lol:
That's why I haven't really gotten into them until now. I would hear about podcasts that sounded cool but I would think "eh, but then I'd have to listen to that instead of (whatever new album I want to check out). My wife downloaded a bunch of Lore and This American Life episodes over a long drive a while back though and I was like oh okay, I get it now. :lol:

I hear the Nerdist is good but I dunno, I have kind of a reflexive dislike of that guy from the stupid Talking Dead/Talking Bad shows. :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Damn, thanks dudes!

That's why I haven't really gotten into them until now. I would hear about podcasts that sounded cool but I would think "eh, but then I'd have to listen to that instead of (whatever new album I want to check out). My wife downloaded a bunch of Lore and This American Life episodes over a long drive a while back though and I was like oh okay, I get it now. :lol:

I hear the Nerdist is good but I dunno, I have kind of a reflexive dislike of that guy from the stupid Talking Dead/Talking Bad shows. :lol:
I don't listen to all of his episodes, mainly just the ones that have people I like in them (same thing w/ Jimmy Pardo). He's funny, but I prefer him on At Midnight.

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
Hardcore History & Common Sense (both by Dan Carlin) are my 2 favorite podcasts by far. Other than that I'll occasionally listen to these ones:

Sword & Scale (true crime)
Mysterious Universe
Radiolab
Waking Up with Sam Harris (don't always like what he has to say but every episode is pretty interesting nonetheless)

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hardcore History (a MUST if you're interested in history. Start with Prophets of Doom)
Been listening to Prophets of Doom on my commute over the last few days and finished it this morning. Holy. Fucking. Shit. People in the 1500s were crazy, and did not fuck around.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Been listening to Prophets of Doom on my commute over the last few days and finished it this morning. Holy. Fucking. Shit. People in the 1500s were crazy, and did not fuck around.
Isn't it an incredible listen? I killed the whole thing on a road trip and was just completely entranced the whole time. Those cages actually still exist too.

My second favorite episode is probably his latest one about the rise of the Persian Empire, or maybe his Judgement of Ninevah episode (about the fall of Assyria).

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I think you would like "The Weeds" by Vox. It's a policy podcast with Ezra Klein, Matthew Yglesias, and Sarah Kliff.

Also "Still Untitled: The Adam Savage Project" for general maker stuff and film nerdery, and "The Co-Optional Podcast" if you're into gaming.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you would like "The Weeds" by Vox. It's a policy podcast with Ezra Klein, Matthew Yglesias, and Sarah Kliff.
This one came up on pocket cast, and I would love a wonky, policy-focused politics cast, but I kind of hate Vox/Ezra Klein. :lol: I guess I should just give it a shot and see if it surprises me.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
This one came up on pocket cast, and I would love a wonky, policy-focused politics cast, but I kind of hate Vox/Ezra Klein. :lol: I guess I should just give it a shot and see if it surprises me.
Any particular reason? I love listening to nerds in their element, so the enthusiasm they convey is great and the overall podcast is quite interesting.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hate was probably a strong word. I guess the upworthy by way of Chuck Todd tone of the website kind of rubs me the wrong way, and beltway pundits pretending to be 100% unbiased and objective is kind of a pet peeve of mine. They also come up with some pretty dumb hot takes sometimes.

Like I said though, I should give it a shot.

Edit: Okay, I listened to the most recent episode (about immigration, minimum wage, and the Oregon standoff) and I actually really enjoyed it. Sounded like the conversations I have with my dorkier friends and, going back to one of the gripes I mentioned having with the website, were pretty open about where they were coming from on the issues they were discussing. :yesway:

·
Registered
1 Posts
A great podcast people should listen to is the Broke Billionaires podcast its a business based podcast with 2 average guys from Boston. Providing this platform for anyone that is aspiring to do something with there lives.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts