Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any decent cameras that are on the cheaper side of the spectrum that are weather proof and do power over ethernet?

I know those are 2 features that don't normally come on cheaper cameras, but after discovering someone tried to hotwire my motorcycle I really need to do something. We've had random minor acts of vandalism in the past, but this is something completely different.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, bad shit happens here too, just not on the same scale as you crazy fucks down south :lol: Unless of course your in a big city (which I'm not).

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I think I speak Canadian. "Timbits" = stuff from Tim Hortons?
Timmy Ho's donut holes are the perfect post-gig snack, right behind waffles and other assorted breakfast carbs.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
fun fact ... Tim's will give you a free plain timbit for your dog if you have it in the car with you at drive thru.

Not sure about in the East, but in the West they proactively offer it.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
to the actual OP ...

not sure about PoE, but you can definitely get battery operated/motion sensor ones on the (relatively) cheap. I researched a bunch a while back to put in my greenhouse and didn't have a power source near by. Supposedly they last quite a while per charge. I may look into the PoE option though as I hadn't though of that and it would be a good way to upgrade the setup to be a little more versatile/robust.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Anyone know of any decent cameras that are on the cheaper side of the spectrum that are weather proof and do power over ethernet?

I know those are 2 features that don't normally come on cheaper cameras, but after discovering someone tried to hotwire my motorcycle I really need to do something. We've had random minor acts of vandalism in the past, but this is something completely different.
What do you hope to do by installing the cameras? Live monitor or record?
If recording, I'm assuming you want to capture info about the potential thief.

Personally, I'd invest in methods of securing the motorcycle more but you sound like maybe you're wanting protection for your entire home instead of just your motorcycle. I can't recommend you anything off hand but do get the ones that have the cable go through the base so that it can't be cut easily unless you have somewhere to attach it out of reach unless they use a ladder.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Recording. I have a 9TB that supports recording.

As far as securing the motorcycle, do you mean some kind of locking device? I'd really like an enclosed garage but don't have the money to do that conversion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, fuel-cutoffs, lock bar, chains.
I used huge chains to secure the four-wheeler I owned when I lived next to a really sketchy neighbor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts