Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post them up here!

For your perusal, I give you "My Sharona" by The Knack. Not one, but two fingertwisting yet catchy and melodic leads in one pop song!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4."

An absolute ripper that is complex and FAST (especially for it's time!) Some great breaks all over the place too, but especially after the first chorus at 1:07. More awesomeness begins at around 2:00 in.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, Muse's "Invincible." Technical and very widdly, yet fits very well into the song and has a coherent hook and melody. The culmination of the whole song's gradual buildup.

Starts around 4:20.

Post up others!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Pat Benatar, who has a husband that just tears it the fuck up on guitar:

Chris Isaak hired the dude that played for Don Henley, and it was pure awesome:

Same guy as above, playing for the guy mentioned above:

Dire Straits > You

Reactions: Variant

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Good call on the Chris Isaac, my parents listened to a decent amount of him and that's actually a pretty good tune. :yesway:

Maybe not "pop," but the Smashing Pumpkins' "Rhinoceros" has a completely unexpectedly intense solo section:

Also, I've always been a huige fan of Sarah McLachlan's guitarist on "Surfacing," particularly his playing on this track:

It's barely even a "solo" or even a "performance" in the traditional sense, but it's fucking awesome. It's really just the sound of a guitar distilled to the point of abstraction.

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
Dire Straits > You
This. :agreed: Knopfler should have been the "king of pop" template that that black-then-white guy got toted as. Michael Jordon... Johnson... Jackson... or whatever his name was. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts

1 - 20 of 47 Posts