Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NOBODY calls it soda around here. The map has that right.

Maybe something like grape soda, occasionally. But never cola.

·
Volvo Mis-Enthusiast
800 Posts
I have lived in Dallas for 20 years. I have personally never heard the word "pop" used seriously. :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
All of my friends from Pennsylvania say "pop". We have always used the generic term "coke" or "soda".

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
All of MI is right... Pop. Soda? Not unless you want Club Soda. And Coke only is asked if you're trying to figure out if the place you're at has "Coke" or "Pepsi" products... usually if you're wanting to order a Mt. Dew :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I'm from the little county at the bottom of the bay in northwest Lower Michigan. See that? Dark blue 100% fucking "pop". Now I live in southeast PA, which is apparently gold country. I can get anything from a "what?" to a "hell no!" if I ask for a pop at a restaurant. Asking for it at a bar might get me physically assaulted; I haven't tried that one out yet.

When I go home (like in a week :)) and ask for soda I get the, "Ooohh you're better than us, eh?" look. :roll2:

Curiously enough, in Chicago (shown as 50-80% "pop" in Cook County), I almost always heard "soda" and that's where I started developing the habit.

Supposedly I'm also losing my unique vowel pronunciations from the area. When I go home for a week, I usually come back with a Michigan "twang" and people look at me funny around here. Who are they to judge? They can't pronounce "water" or "radiator" to save their life.

EDIT: I missed post 500 somewhere back there! :woot:

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Although FWIW, we refer to it as "Soft Drink" here in Australia.
They probably do the same in the UK, I don't know.
Probably acceptable to say "Soda" in Australia, but I don't think anyone would know what you're on about if you asked for "pop".

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
It's soda damnit! Nikki calls it pop since she's from Illinois and we give each other hell :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
It's soda damnit! Nikki calls it pop since she's from Illinois and we give each other hell :lol:
:squint: It's pop!

·
I like turtles!
722 Posts
Although FWIW, we refer to it as "Soft Drink" here in Australia.
They probably do the same in the UK, I don't know.
Probably acceptable to say "Soda" in Australia, but I don't think anyone would know what you're on about if you asked for "pop".
+1

Soft drink refers to all things carbonated and sweet (and non alcoholic, hence 'soft'). Coke refers to...well fucking coke what else would it be? No one calls it pop or soda, if you tried to you'd probably get called a seppo cunt.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
It's pop. Soda is the verbiage obviously preferred by coastal elitist types and coke is preferred by bumble fuck ******** who can't tell the difference between Coca Cola and Mt. Dew.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.