Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Beer Sewer
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, in starting a new company, I have had many new tasks thrown at me. The latest is to write a simple app to send ASCII characters through USB to a host from a a Samsung Captivate. I have started writing code for the firat time in my life (Old dog learning new tricks) and hit a wall.

Can anybody help me a little with this? I wrote an app on Eclipse that has 2 buttons, and "a" and "z". When pressed, the buttons will go to the next screen, but I can't write any code that will sned the message down USB. I have a Beagle sniffer and a pic24 usb kit I can use.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
so basically having the captivate onscreen keyboard literally just behave as a keyboard then for a computer its hooked up to? Say youre in a word document on the computer, with the cursor at the end, and you type xyz on the phone. the document then contains xyz at the end?

·
Beer Sewer
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so basically having the captivate onscreen keyboard literally just behave as a keyboard then for a computer its hooked up to? Say youre in a word document on the computer, with the cursor at the end, and you type xyz on the phone. the document then contains xyz at the end?
The commands will be read by an FPGA and PIC chip on the receiver once I get a signal through, but what you said would be great!

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Is the USB connected to a computer first, or straight to the circuit board? (I don't know a lot about the hardware you're trying to read to, so forgive me if that sounded dumb.)

I don't know of a lot (if any) apps that use the USB port on an android device to transfer data. At least not from within Android itself. Not sure if Google even enabled that ability.

And what needs to be sent? Information that is already stored on the device/app, or information that you type on they keyboard first, and then submit?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
So you want to just stream the straight ascii codes down, serially?
Should be doable. Ill send you a PM and see if we can straighten you out. Might take a little bit of ... "doing" ... but nothing too bad i dont imagine

·
Beer Sewer
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The PIC24 starter kit is a dev tool for the PIC chip, a neat device that will receive USB and convert it to something we can use on our product. All I need to do is set up a protocol with that device, and send a signal to it to flash an led or write something on it's little screen. Getting something to write on a computer would be a GREAT first step, as I would know that my phone is transmitting.

I have down-loaded an app called connectbot, if I can figure how to do this through SSH.

Just sending ASCII letters would be fine now. Later it will be fader commands and meter returns. (Hint)

Is the USB connected to a computer first, or straight to the circuit board? (I don't know a lot about the hardware you're trying to read to, so forgive me if that sounded dumb.)

I don't know of a lot (if any) apps that use the USB port on an android device to transfer data. At least not from within Android itself. Not sure if Google even enabled that ability.

And what needs to be sent? Information that is already stored on the device/app, or information that you type on they keyboard first, and then submit?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts