Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interview with MP in Dutch Metalzine 'Aardschok'

Portnoy on his forum said:
Just for the record, this is indeed true..

Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives...(plus I know how much it meant to alot of the fans...)

I figured it was still possible to try and save us because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer...but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did...they didn't even tell me themselves....)

Sorry gang, I honestly gave it my all...
So now the fans on my twitter and facebook can please stop asking me to go back to DT...I tried, and the door is now shut...the ball is now in their court, not mine...

PS - I'm not crying or looking for mercy by posting this...I am merely trying to set the record straight as that is always the most important thing about my relationship with you guys...no BS, no spins, nothing to hide...and for better or for worse, I tell it like it is...

I've also recently seen some people accuse my online activity of "looking for attention or media coverage" or "looking for sympathy", but it's honestly none of the above...I merely value having an open and active communication with my fans...always have, always will...it is the cornerstone of everything I've done since day #1 with DT....

This was posted here FOR YOU GUYS to know about...here on MY message board on MY website....if it ends up on Blabbermouth or wherever else, that is THEIR choice to spread, I did not request it or send out a "press release"....

Anyways, onward and upward...
I've got alot of great music and ideas waiting to come out of me and alot of exciting collaborations in the works....so goodbye 2010...bring on 2011!

MP

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
...color me totally unsurprised. Then again, Mike Mangini may be frantically re-scheduling all his drum lessons for the next year...

I'm still betting all of this was just a power struggle Portnoy lost, and he'll be back in a year.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts

Reactions: Thomas

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

Reactions: Thomas

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Still not as bad as getting kicked out of A7X. I'd kill myself if I got fired from such a shitty band. :lol:

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
We need : portnoy:
But if we had that, it'd need a fucking inordinate amount of screen real estate, join a crappy forum on the side for a bit of extra cash, stop working in our forum simply to get attention, and then just keep randomly appearing in threads for several months after each use about how it's doing totally fine, and has several exciting new forums in the works, but also wouldn't mind coming back here if the conditions were right.

We could always just repurpose this guy: :realmad:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives...(plus I know how much it meant to alot of the fans...)
I wonder if this "reach out" occured after AX7 gave him the boot.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

A7x sucks, I blame them/drew.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
DT wouldn't go on hiatus so MP could play drums for A7X and make a fuckton of money and then pick up the DT projects after that, so he quit. Probably under the assumption that they wouldn't replace him before the A7X gig was up, and he could just go back to DT and get what he wanted. At least it seems that way.

Fuck MP :agreed:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
DT wouldn't go on hiatus so MP could play drums for A7X and make a fuckton of money and then pick up the DT projects after that, so he quit. Probably under the assumption that they wouldn't replace him before the A7X gig was up, and he could just go back to DT and get what he wanted. At least it seems that way.

Fuck MP :agreed:
:agreed: This is a band power struggle being played out in public. It's as simple as that.

The problem here is that while he's got his own minions over at his forum. His relationship with the fans on the DT forums in the past has been rocky at best. Which eventually resulted in the official forum being closed down. So this "doing it for the fans" spiel comes off as being either disingenuous or naive at best.

That is. Unless he's talking about "his" fans, and not "DT" fans. Because I know quite few DT fans, that are now over the fucking moon that he's out of there.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
While I understand that he's trying to be up front with his fans, some things should be dealt with behind the scenes. When you're a celebrity, public perception can turned on you when you start bitching out in the open. In the case of prog rock fans, many of whom are musicians who would kill to be as fortunate as MP, see his bitching as pointless.

In short, dude is coming off like a douche in his recent posts & interviews. Just shut up, live the dream many of us would love the chance to live & entertain us. If he can do that, it will blow over. IF...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Because I know quite few DT fans, that are now over the fucking moon that he's out of there.
Really? I was always under the impression that Portnoy:DT as say Peart:Rush (I know nothing about DT, stopped listening after Images and Words). Is it just the A7x thing, or were there other issues?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Really? I was always under the impression that Portnoy:DT as say Peart:Rush (I know nothing about DT, stopped listening after Images and Words). Is it just the A7x thing, or were there other issues?
I've bitched non-stop about his influence on their writing and his horrible backup vocals and overplayed drum parts for the last several years, so this was a welcomed change of personnel. Anybody who knows me also knows that I was an adamant James LaBrie h8'er, then he released his last album and I realized he sounds like shit on DT's albums entirely because of the melodies they're writing for him in; and it wasn't Myung or Jordan who've been writing that shit. I'm giving JP the benefit of the doubt he's not the guilty party because I didn't fall asleep listening to Suspended Animation like I did listening to, oh, both the first OSI albums and everything Transatlantic.

The A7X thing for me, personally, was like "Whew! Good riddance". :2c:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I just think DT needs a shakeup, and some better songwriting/arranging.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Really? I was always under the impression that Portnoy: DT as say Peart:Rush (I know nothing about DT, stopped listening after Images and Words). Is it just the A7x thing, or were there other issues?
Mike got into it with fans posting on the official DT forums. I don't remember all the specifics, but it was around the time "Train of Thought" was released. I think it had to do with some fans feeling like they were being called out with the lyrics on "As I Am". That and also Mike felt that the fans were unappreciative of the band doing sets that covered other band's albums. Things got worse when "Never Enough" was on the following album. Bad enough that the official forum got closed down due to all the flaming.

Serious interwebz drama. :lol:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts