Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is starting to bother me, as I don't know what I've done wrong two guitars in a row.

A few months ago, I re-wired the Loomis for Passive pickups. I bought all brand new electronics for the refit. 500k pot, a new 3-way switch, and a mono jack, very simple setup. I took my guitar to a tech and had them install a ground wire to the bridge (I could have done it myself, but I don't trust me with a drill to my favorite guitar.)

So I wire everything up using this diagram: Guitar Wiring Diagram 2 Humbuckers/3-Way Toggle Switch/1 Volume/0Tone/000

And the pickups (a BKP Nailbomb, and DiMarzio Liquifire) don't have anywhere NEAR the output they should have, and I get a bit of buzz from them unless I touch the strings, bridge, output jack, or even the conductive coating in the control cavity. This still doesn't solve the output issue (I compared it to the Nailbomb in my Gryphon, and it's obvious how much more gain and output it has). So I double checked my wiring against the diagrams, and everything is where it should be. I figured i'd take it to my tech and have him look at it (Haven't gotten around to it, obviously).

Here's why I think something is amiss, besides the obvious... I recently re-built my Dean dimebag guitar that I re-finished. I was only installing one pickup, so I again bought all new components (pot and jack) and used this diagram: Guitar Wiring Diagram 1 Humbucker 1 Volume

I followed it exactly, got everything put together and.... Same fucking problem i'm having with the Loomis! Output is not as high as it should be (in comparison to another guitar with the SAME pickup in it), and I get a buzz unless I touch something metal.... I even tried running a wire from the bridge to the ground on the pot just to test (alligator clipp'd it) and unless I couch the wire with my fingers... Buzz. What the hell am I doing wrong?

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Sounds like the coils aren't connected as humbuckers. Plug in the guitar, turn down the volume on the amp and then touch something metal (paper clip or or screwdriver tip) to the individual pole pieces, one at a time, both coils. You should hear a clicking/thumping/popping sound at every pole piece.

Posting a picture of the control cavity might be helpful, if you can.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the coils aren't connected as humbuckers. Plug in the guitar, turn down the volume on the amp and then touch something metal (paper clip or or screwdriver tip) to the individual pole pieces, one at a time, both coils. You should hear a clicking/thumping/popping sound at every pole piece.

Posting a picture of the control cavity might be helpful, if you can.
I got the hum issue resolved after a complete re-do on all the contact points, but I still can't figure out what the problem is with the bridge humbucker. I tapped all the coils with a screwdriver as you described, and eveything is firing as it should.

I tried wiring right to the jack, no dice. Neck pickup still works fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts