Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Colourful bastard
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But, does the trem itself make any difference?

Essentially, I'm using two Jacksons (mid-90's Pro with a JT580? and mid-00's DK2 with the Licensed Floyd.) I plan to tremol-no both, into fixed bridge guitars, because I never really use the trem anyway, I just like the way my palm sits on it vs. a TOM.

What I want to know is, will the fact that these aren't OFRs or higher end copies (Gotohs/Schallers etc) have any kind of negative impact on tuning stability, or will the tremol-no completely negate the existing weaknesses in the old trems?

Also, it says to lock the nut before installing, but...do I *have* to lock the nut with a T-no on, or can I leave the locking nuts off?

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
You should be OK, and yeah, once the thing's actually installed you can leave the nut unlocked. If you're going to leave it permanently blocked just make sure you use the allan screws rather than thumbscrews when you screw it down.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I leave my locking nuts off w/my T-No with no problems, and I always keep it locked. No matter what I do, I can never get the bridge to reset to neutral after a few dives with it unlocked, so for me, it's essentially just a quick/easy way to block off my bridge.

·
Colourful bastard
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, cheers guys.

Also, UK gents, anyone know anywhere that has them in stock? Allparts is currently out apparently.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Check the Tremol-No database to confirm exactly which model you need, as the claw or pin types fit different blocks.

·
Colourful bastard
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any thoughts on the tremol-no vs the block of wood theory from anyone else? Will the t-no offer me any advantages other than occasionally being able to set it as floating if I need to?

Also, had a look Darren, I'm 99.9% the pin type is the one for me. Ta!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
If you're wanting to make it a full time hardtail, why buy a Tremol-no? Why not just block the bridge with a bit of wood? It seems to be a bit of a waste of £50. IMO that is...
:agreed: The whole point of the thing is to be able to switch back and forth. If you block the bridge, you can remove all the strings without the bridge moving. The T-no won't hold the springs at bay by itself.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
As far as it not being an OFR making a difference, it depends on how shitty the trem is. On LTD's the saddles are so soft that shit gets stripped very easily. If it's a half way decent licensed trem, getting a new sustain block would make the most difference. Then just block it with wood (or Tremol-no if you're set on that).

·
Read Only
10 Posts
If you're wanting to make it a full time hardtail, why buy a Tremol-no? Why not just block the bridge with a bit of wood? It seems to be a bit of a waste of £50. IMO that is...
For me, once in a while I like to toss it in dive-only, if I'm just jamming out and don't care that the T-No doesn't keep it 100% level. (I'm not the only one with this problem, and probably not the only one with this philosophy).

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Really as others have said it comes down to will you ever want the guitar to have a floating bridge? If yes, T-no, if not, wood. Maybe you should compromise and block the Fusion with wood since you don't have the locking nut pads, and T-no the DK2?

·
Colourful bastard
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ Sounds like a pretty good idea, I think I'll try blocking the Fusion with the blocks of wood, then assuming I don't miss the trem or find any problems I'll do the same on the DK2, if not, I'll T-no that thing!

Cheers guys, appreciate the advice as always.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've got a T-No in my JS1000, because I wanted to be able to lock and unlock the trem when I felt like it, but I ended up liking it so much as a hardtail, that I've stuck the set screws in the T-no and left it as a permanent hardtail - effectively wasting £53.
You, of all people, should not be playing a hardtail. Your bar control is ridiculously good, and how the hell are you going to cover Satch tunes without a trem?

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
You, of all people, should not be playing a hardtail. Your bar control is ridiculously good, and how the hell are you going to cover Satch tunes without a trem?
I just fancy a change just now - I still use the trem when I need to, but when I'm just messing about I prefer it as a hardtail. Now that I have the tele and the strat though, I'm considering taking the T-No out of the JS altogether and returning it to a permanent trem guitar. Setting up the tremol-no is a pain in the arse, it's been months and I still haven't got it right. Not convinced it isn't faulty TBH - doubt Kevan would replace it though - I locked down the set screws too tight and scarred the shaft. Giggidy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts