Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Sorry I have not been around as much as I figured I would have been. Life has been odd here and there. Haha.

Anyway, so, on April 3rd, I went to have a checkup appointment with my Doctor and she actually cleared me not only to run but to start playing as well.

That day, I go home anxious as I could be, because I wondered if I should even pick up the instrument so early when my incision doesn't completely heal until April 21st (my recovery was actually extended to the May 2nd).

Anyway, so I asked my Dad to make a video of me playing for the first time after surgery and I just can't believe how much more dexterity and stretch I have now due to this surgery. I was in tears because I have been trying to play some of these techniques and riffs for so long. So these videos are nothing but me pretty much going "all out" on shredding just to see what I can do now, since I have had breakthroughs along the way and what not. I wanted to learn a really rad song or solo for you guys but I just don't have the full dexterity yet due to the recovery time of the nerve being 18 months. I've also decided to take a step back from guitar for a little while as well because in the due amount of time I saw her from April 3rd up until May 2nd I obtained "Tennis Elbow," and it's not awful, just a light pain. But if you guys have any recommendations for it or what not to do. It'd be extremely helpful because I am actually going to go into physical therapy for my hand as well, even though it isn't completely necessary. I just want to heal well.

So my apologies for me being away for a while, I appreciate you guys being so supportive and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Without further a do, here a few videos of me just blazing away. The first two are the very first day and the third one is like three weeks later. That first day I wore myself out. :lol: You'll see.

God Bless you guys and thanks again!

Crate Blue Voodoo 60 was the amp in the vid.

My Dad set-up my friend's guitar in C-Standard, so I went and blazed it up for him with a bunch of half-way Arch Enemy riffs and a bunch of sweeps. :lol: This was several weeks later. 89' Soldano Rack Head. All Vintage 30's in each cabinet for the videos.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Remind me what your surgery was for again, since I don’t remember.

As someone who has had surgery for carpal tunnel, I can fully relate to playing without pain again for the first time in a long time. Congrats!

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remind me what your surgery was for again, since I don't remember.

As someone who has had surgery for carpal tunnel, I can fully relate to playing without pain again for the first time in a long time. Congrats!
Cubital Tunnel Decompression (Ulnar Nerve). Otherwise, known as your "funny bone" nerve.
It compressed my elbow, ring finger, pinky finger and flare up my forearm as well.

Thank you Noodles!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Sweet Dio, it's a crime you were sidelined! More shred!

:shred:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys so much! Still a struggle day to day recovering wise.

However, my arm feels so much more "free" so to speak and I am looking forward to writing some music very soon, if all continues well.

Plus I have a list of songs/solos I can finally learn. :lol:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I'm really glad your surgery has been a success, but god damn your playing is awesome!

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks man! It means a lot because it's been a long time coming and I am just ready to "hit it hard" so to speak.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Awesome news, man! PT works wonders, you'll be back in no time.

In related good news, I got cleared to get back out on my road bike again this morning. :yesway:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome news, man! PT works wonders, you'll be back in no time.

In related good news, I got cleared to get back out on my road bike again this morning. :yesway:
Thanks Drew! I am having a very good today playing wise, going through some of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra songs I played at Christmas and arguably playing them now than the show.

Congrats dude! :) Glad to hear! Need to get me a quality road bike myself.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel your pain. I had the same surgery many years ago. Go easy!:metal:
Trying to. Hard when you have to find new work after being out for about two months.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Congrats! Now, shred easy for a bit so you can shred hard after ya fully heal.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Finally got to listen to these - that's some blistering playing, man!

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats! Now, shred easy for a bit so you can shred hard after ya fully heal.
Definitely. I've made some progress this week with a Paul Gilbert lick my friend just taught me to build some agility/strength on.

Finally got to listen to these - that's some blistering playing, man!
Thanks Drew! Means a lot coming from you! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts