Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dudes,

I'm back from tour, so now I can get back into more mixing! Here's a little mixtest featuring riffs from Textures' excellent tune "Arms of the Sea".
In particular I'm really happy with the bass tone, for which I used a Darkglass B7K bass overdrive pedal (I also used on the road for my live bass tone) - the thing absolutely slays any other bass OD I've come across. Also helping with the bass tone is a Chandler Germanium preamp/DI with its magical "Thick" switch engaged :metal:

Guitars are recorded with my custom Dæmoness 7-string with a Bare Knuckle Emerald in the bridge spot, into an Axe-FX II (Das Metal model). Since I love mg.org I thought I'd share the patch; there is some post-EQ to fit it into my mix but it's fairly satisfying to jam on regardless. Note that the BKP Emerald is a medium/low output pickup so you may find you need to roll back the gain if you're using hotter pickups.

So, what else... oh, yeah, the drums are Toontrack Metal Machine + Slate 4 and some additional samples, and I used Ozone 5 for the mix bus processing.

For those that want to hear the bass tone more clearly, here's a drum and bass only bounce:

Cheers!

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Already listened when you uploaded to SC; sounds good through my phone! :lol:

Will listen and jam with the patch later at home. Thanks for the generosity in sharing!

EDIT: totally forgot I have my Skullcandys with me. :lol:

Dude the bass is fucking brutal. :yesway:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I see you've uploaded your patch before an utter shitstorm this time? :lol:

I'll give this a listen when I get home through my M50's.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
wow sounds killer
Chevelles bass player uses a similar tone on some of their stuuf , it just fills out the sound so well.
thanks for the patch I haven't been able to get a "great " tone using that amp model, so I'm interested to see what you're doing here especially cab wise.
here's the tune I was thinking of

kind of uses it in "The Clincher" too

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Cheers folks, I haven't heard Chevelle before but the bass in that second track is pretty monstrous :metal: !!
ITT: I feel old, they were all over the radio when I was in high school :(

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
don't feel bad I never got into them either until about 3 months ago when my oldest daughter dragged me to their show here in Boston with Bush.
Now I'm a big fan (one of the only non shred bands I'm into) :rofl:

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers, nah it's a custom McIntyre 5-string that was built for and used by James Leach of SikTh as his main bass, and now belongs to the bassist in my band. It's a seriously awesome sounding instrument!

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
shit it's seriously awesome looking too

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Holy fuck that bass tone :eek: Do want! Everything about that sounds awesome, surprisingly enough, I liked the guitar tone the least, but even that was still awesome :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds massive! Really, really massive! And I love it :)

BTW thanks a lot for sharing the patch! It's really helpful for me to see some of the things you do - allows me to experiment with it in my own patches.

·
Registered
702 Posts
it's so... thick! it has a really big and fat and LARGE sound to it, very very well done! i love the low end presence in there too, and the midsy rumble of the bass touching the guitars. i love it when that happens.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts