Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got thinking the other day how some songs that have incredible riffs don't always have tones that fire me up, and some songs with great tones don't have great riffs. Then there's the sweet spot where that venn diagram overlaps. What 3 songs do that for you?

Here's 3 for me:

And, for a retro one. This is the song that made me want to play guitar in the first place. These days there's way better tone, but back then, man this was it for me:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Older/less produced: Bloodbath in Paradise comes to mind first.
Modern tone: Any LoG/Devildriver song.

And of course early Petrucci before his songwriting got so far off the rails I couldn't enjoy his playing.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
And of course early Petrucci before his songwriting got so far off the rails I couldn't enjoy his playing.
Petrucci's lead tone (and playing) is pretty damn tasty on Awake. The end solo in in Scarred is a prime example.

I've always loved the rhythm tone on Swallow the Sun's Hope album.

Often I find that some tones fit an artist or a certain feel, but wouldn't really work in any other setting. I wouldn't for example say that most stoner bands have great tone as such, but it works in the context.

A third example is perhaps Master's Apprentices by Opeth - Deliverance definitely isn't my favorite Opeth album, but the production is stellar.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely a thing where great guitar players go from writing amazing riffs & songs to gold medaling in fretboard gymnastics. Like "I'd rather impress my peers (other guitar players) than the masses who pay my bills." Cacophony comes to mind immediately.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Another great modern-day tone, this whole Feared album is perfect imo.

That tone is so fucking thick and heavy, yet still super articulate. Big massive chords where you can still hear the individual strings.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts

He's getting that tone with a fucking Strat in the bridge position. GTFO. EMG's or not, they're still single coils.

Not just the rhythm tone, but the wah sound in the solo has been my benchmark since I was a wee lil' shit.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Petrucci's lead tone (and playing) is pretty damn tasty on Awake. The end solo in in Scarred is a prime example.

Often I find that some tones fit an artist or a certain feel, but wouldn't really work in any other setting. I wouldn't for example say that most stoner bands have great tone as such, but it works in the context.

A third example is perhaps Master's Apprentices by Opeth - Deliverance definitely isn't my favorite Opeth album, but the production is stellar.
The "Scarred" solo is easily my favorite Petrucci solo. It offers EVERYTHING in one solo, melody, feel, tone, emotion, a beginning, middle and end and just enough flash to put it over the top. It's a fucking masterpiece.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And if you like that, you'll certainly enjoy Naren's old band. :metal:

That's really cool. Would love to hear it with Opeth's production.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really dig that too. Had heard of these guys but never listened to much. Will add this one to my playlist.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
If I had to pick only three: Carcass's tone on Heartwork, Scar Symmetry's tone on Pitch Black Progress, and Soilwork's tone on Stabbing the Drama.

A few honorable mentions: Opeth's tone on Your Arms My Hearse, Bloodbath's tone on Nightmares Made Flesh, The Absence's tone on Riders of the Plague, The Haunted's tone on Revolver (though I also really love their tones on recent albums like Exit Wounds and Strength in Numbers), Bleed from Within's tone on Era, Periphery's tone on Periphery II, Job for a Cowboy's tone on Suneater, Monuments's tone on The Amanuensis, Obscura's tone on Omnivium, and Unearth's tone on Darkness in the Light.

And if you like that, you'll certainly enjoy Naren's old band. :metal:

:wub: Aw, you'll make me blush. My new band (well, it's just me writing songs by myself since corona destroyed my plans of getting members together back in February) is a lot more melodic, groovy, and intentionally less progressive (though since I'm writing it, I'll sometimes just go from a heavy riff to acoustic guitar, but I'm trying to minimize that kind of stuff. :lol: I just wrote a part in 7/8 + 5/8 + 9/8 + 7/8 for my newest song, but I'm planning on changing it to 4/4 sometime soon since it does kind of come out of nowhere and ruin my more "accessible" sound I'm going for - well, accessible for extreme metal, I guess).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts