Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perceived change in tone between 50w and 100w is higher in EL34's than 6L6's.

Reference: Stiletto with 50/100w switching capability, and DC-10 with 60/100w switching capability.

Discuss?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

In my experience, less EL-34s sound better, and more 6L6s sound better. That's why I run my Stiletto in 50w mode, and why the Triple is my favorite Recto for metal.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

The AxeFX model labeled Girthy Mid.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I dunno about el34 vs 6l6 but I like my Ultra+ in 2 tube mode more than 4 tube mode. It has a more compressed sound that way and you know I live that compression haha.

·
Read Only
3 Posts

In my experience, less EL-34s sound better, and more 6L6s sound better. That's why I run my Stiletto in 50w mode, and why the Triple is my favorite Recto for metal.
I think that's the reason the roadking has two 34s and four 6l6s.

I should try the uber pre into the Mesa power section, so see how a 50w uber sounds. :idea:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I think t depends on the poweramp design, too. I'll toss out here that my old Rectoverb sounded MUCH different with EL34s than it did with 6L6s - much brighter and edgier - while the Roadster is more comparable, and it's a much subtler difference. At least, at volumes safe to stand around it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yep. I run my Stiletto largely in 50w mode, and I'm getting a 2:90 for my TriAxis :wub:

:lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

Now you just need to buy a guitar that is worth more than four bucks!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will, once you buy my DC-10 :D

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
No, you should buy a good guitar. :fawk:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts