Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got a power conditioner to recommend? I have an Axe-FX coming and I want it very protected from electrical BS.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Furman. There's some distinction as to which units are actually power conditioners and which are just rackmounted power strips, and as I'm not sure on which is which, I'll let someone else comment on it.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Furman PL-8C (15 Amp Power COND w/Lights)

This is the one i got, it works great and looks cool!
I have the same one. I used a $80 rackrider for years until it bit the dust last year. This Furman has been great. Maybe it's just me but I tend to not overthink this kind of stuff. Do I want my gear protected? Sure, but how often do I see a crippling power surge? I've only once ever played in a venue that had shoddy electrical, and I wouldn't buy a $500 power conditioner, but I think $100 is a good price to pay for the basic protection.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
This is the one reason I feel slightly dumb that I bought a 4-space rack bag and a 2U power amp for my someday-coming AFX... if I had bought 6-spaces, I could have a tuner and a power conditioner. :-/

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The AFX tuner is awesome. You won't need any external one.
Meh, 1U tuners are great because they're easy to see from a distance, but that's a topic for another thread.

I have a Samson conditioner and I'm very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Meh, 1U tuners are great because they're easy to see from a distance, but that's a topic for another thread.
Dude I totally get your point, and for a lot of players yeah that's really a good thing. For me though, I've always used double-locking trems, so once it's in tune it's good to go, rack tuners back in the day were $250 (i have no idea the current market and FU I don't want to google it), and even recently we had these huge on-stage banners in front of the amps, so I couldn't see it anyway even if I tried.

Besides, Chris you're missing the biggest point. Why have a $250 rack tuner when you can have 5 rackmount dB meters for the same price?

Come on man, priorities! :vince:

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
The Axe-FX tuner is pretty decent, and with some MIDI controllers, you can see the tuner on the floorboard. I still kind of want a nice 1u dedicated tuner, though.

·
swan dive
174 Posts
The Axe-FX tuner is pretty decent, and with some MIDI controllers, you can see the tuner on the floorboard. I still kind of want a nice 1u dedicated tuner, though.
Yeah, the tuner is pretty sweet, but it kinda has trouble with our tuning. We use 8s down a whole step, and it definitely has a problem with that low E haha. I use the harmonic to get it, but a dedicated rack tuner may be a good idea in the future. Plus, I'd like to be able to tune without having to get within the general vicinity of my rig.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts