Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is that every band i'm in fight me tooth and nail about learning a song via tabs before next practice? I come up with a song, record it, they like it so i tab it for the other guitarist exactly how i play it. Yet it always comes down to "just show me next practice" does anyone know how to approach this without choking the other guy?

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got to a point with my last band where he would actually read it and practice it, but refuse to learn it so i didnt have to wait a week to learn the song and go home remember it played a different way.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I've tabbed out every song I've written for the past three bands I've been in and the one I'm in right now is the only one where every member will consistantly learn the songs by the next practice.

In one band, the bass player did EXACTLY what you said, "Just show me at practice." When I got to practice and he said that, I just said, "No. There's no way you'll remember it and you'll probably not be able to learn any of the riffs within the time frame anyway." I've tried before... and they always forgot.

One of the reasons I quit those bands. Lack of dedication. :noplease:

Now I'm vehemently opposed to anyone saying "Teach me the songs at practice."

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Really? All of the bands I've been in have written songs via jamming out ideas.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya thats usually what we do, but sometimes i record something...show them, they like it, and the other guitarist approves, learns it, adds his own parts, comma comma comma etc.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I can only do that if i really connect with the other people musically. In the last band i was in, we never jammed. We came up with ideas and presented them, and then went over them and tweaked them riff by riff or arranged them and then tweaked.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can only do that if i really connect with the other people musically. In the last band i was in, we never jammed. We came up with ideas and presented them, and then went over them and tweaked them riff by riff or arranged them and then tweaked.
this is what i prefer to do, but jamming is always fun but for me it ends up no where.

do any of you guys know a great free program for tabbing on mac? i have windows on here for power tab and other stuff i had on my pc but the other guitarist doesnt have windows on his mac.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
this is what i prefer to do, but jamming is always fun but for me it ends up no where.

do any of you guys know a great free program for tabbing on mac? i have windows on here for power tab and other stuff i had on my pc but the other guitarist doesnt have windows on his mac.
I use this for viewing gp5 files and the like. Almost identical to GP, no idea if it can handle powertab.

Download :: TuxGuitar

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
It's open source and available for all mac os x version back to 10.4.11 - older beta builds go as far back as 10.3.9. You can also get it for Linux and Windows, so you can view anything he creates if it isn't compatible with your current software.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
My band jams a lot, but we never turn those jams into actual songs. We connect to the point that any jam sounds like a complete ready-to-go album song, but we prefer the polished feel of a song written and arranged at home over one thrown together willy nilly in a jam.

Generally I write a song or the other guitarist writes a song. We all learn the song before practice and then we modify it. For example, the drummer will change the timing of a riff to really odd syncopation, but the notes will be the same. Or the other guitarist will add one of his riffs after a certain section or he'll harmonize a riff that I had recorded in unison. We'll change the tempo or we'll add lead guitar or a solo to a part that didn't have it. Etc.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I still prefer to do that. Its' the best way to 'write' as a unit, I find.

That said, when I write my own songs and record them, I tab them out completely in Guitar Pro, arrange them, tab out drum parts, the works. Best compositional tool ever. My other guitar player actually got me into that method.

Naren remembers the jam style of writing, I'm sure. When he and I would write songs, or show them to each other, we'd bounce ideas back and forth, and the parts would just sort of organically happen. Fun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts