Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
One-Two-Nine-Five
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dudes, haven't been active in a while but I wanted to share this with you all. Whole bunch has happened since I last posted; graduated college, got a job as a quality control engineer at a steel mill, moved to Ohio, got a cat, bought a car; but anyway.

I had an old Peavey practice amp that my late grandma bought me when I first started playing, and I wanted to do something fun and special with it since it had no real value but a bunch of sentimental value. I decided that turning it into a head would do just the thing.

Said amp. Not a horrible little amp but not great either.

Amp chassis removed. The blue and yellow wires ran down to the speaker when in combo form.

Venue change to my current apartment.

I bought a mono jack (Link) and wired it up. Super straightforward wiring and I just had to drilled a hole in the back for it to mount into.

Everything worked as it should so it was now time to make the actual head shell. It's not really work that can be done in a 2 bedroom apartment so I took off the days between Christmas and new years so that I could work on it in my dad's workshop.

My design for it was pretty basic, just a slot that would hold the chassis from above, a strip of wood below that I could glue the silver "RAGE 158" strip to and a rectangular piece below that that I could attach the Peavey logo to to maintain the same style as the original combo amp. I based the general dimensions off other mini heads (6505 mini, JCA22H, a couple Panama heads) since I didn't need a ton of height and wanted things to look generally proportional. I think it could be an inch less deep but it balances decently when picked up by the handle so it works out.

I didn't take many pictures of the actual construction since we were trying to get as much done in the few days that I had and I just kinda forgot to. I ended up using white oak from a shelf that I built in 8th grade woodshop. You can see some of it in the background of the photo below of my dad setting up the table saw. I believe this was second time we set it up after we cut the first few pieces and discovered that they weren't square. We used biscuits and glue for the joining method since it was easy and dimensional tolerance wasn't super duper critical. Cutting the pieces was pretty straight forward since it's just a bunch of rectangles.

Givin' it the clamps!

The next day we pulled the clamps off and found out that either our measurements were wrong or things shifted while being glued up but the chassis didn't fit in the slot now. We decided that routing as much out as possible and then getting the remainder out with a chisel was basically the only option so I got to use a router for the first time.

It was pretty easy and after hitting myself with a hammer many times the chassis fit. The space below is for the previously mentioned rectangular piece and the small wood pieces screwed into the sides are for mounting it.

Here's said rectangular piece. I made shims from computer paper so that it would be centered in the head shell. To drill the mounting holes I clamped it in place and then drilled in from behind.

Here it is mounted up after some sanding. It's offset a smidge to the left but a little sanding can fix that.

Just another angle of it. If you look closely at the shelf you can see what part was routed and what part I chiseled out with my dad's sharpest (read: not sharp) chisel.

Next up was to round the corners to an unknown radius that looks decent and assemble it.

Venue change back to my apartment. Time to attach the Peavey logo.

But first, coffee.

I wanted the logo to be centered in the lower section so I mounted the rectangular piece and used tape to mark where the center is. I had to use tape to draw the lines because the rectangular piece is shadowed in 1/8th inch or so and awkward dimensionally. Various measuring implements (calipers, square, ruler) were used mark center lines (vertical & horizontal) and then screw holes were marked.

Voila, logo added. It's centered within 1/16" which is more than good enough for me.

That's how it sits for now. I was originally going to cover it in tolex but I'm not quite sure how that will work since I want to add the silver strip to the shelf and that I don't know what metal corner pieces will fit it. The silver strip also isn't wide enough but I have a co-worker with a laser cutter who can make a new one. I might just give it a coat of paint (black or white) and glue the strip on over that. I'm going to stain the rectangular piece since it has some decent grain to it and it would look good against black or white.

I still have to attach the rubber feet that I bought for it but I'm waiting to make a decision on metal corner pieces first so if anyone has input there it would be greatly appreciated.

·
One-Two-Nine-Five
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's so cool! Have you tried it through a cab yet?
That would require me to have a guitar cab lol. I've run it through my 1x15 bass cab and the headphones out (which I believe is the preamp) into the loop return of my Randall combo.

I was not adequately prepared to own an amp head. It just means that I have to buy more equipment now.

·
Mod Britannia
7,232 Posts
It's looking good so far :yesway: Are you intending to take this out anywhere, or just have it as a home practice amp still? If you're not, I wouldn't worry about putting corners on it.

·
Guitarded
Rig: Marshall DSL20
429 Posts
dude it looks badass with just woodgrain. I'd stain an lacquer it rather than paint it! You don't see many heads that aren't covered in tolex. Either way, looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.

·
One-Two-Nine-Five
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's looking good so far
Are you intending to take this out anywhere, or just have it as a home practice amp still? If you're not, I wouldn't worry about putting corners on it.
This'll stay at home so no corners it is. That made things easier.

dude it looks badass with just woodgrain. I'd stain an lacquer it rather than paint it! You don't see many heads that aren't covered in tolex. Either way, looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Agreed, but the shelf was deep and had pieces glued together and this was just deep enough to get that glue joint and then we arranged one of the sides different from the others so the glue joints don't match up and we accidentally put a through hole in the bottom instead of a blind hole. It just wouldn't look good.

I did pick up a cab though. Mesa 1x12 half-back. I think it might be a Thiel but I'm not hung up on the specifics.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
Johan Segeborn did a video with this thing, and it turns out it's actually a real sleeper hit. A pretty solid SS amp held back by it's garbage speaker. Cool shit, I'm sure you'll be getting much better tones out of it now than in it's traditional form. :yesway:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts