Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as of lately the GSP1101 isn't really cutting it for me in terms of Mesa tones and I've always found the GSP could't do even a decent Recto/Mark rhythm let alone lead tone.

So I started reading up on older rack preamps from the 90s such as the Rocktron Piranha, Chameleon (Vince used one), ADA MP-1 modified and so one so forth.

I'm looking for a great Mark like lead with a recto like rhythm and I've seen some videos that have just made me go WTF.

This video below is the ADA MP-1 with the 5150/Recto/Soldano mod. Watch it and see if you don't go holy shit!

Also trying to find one of these is a bitch cuz of how old they are. Any advice on whether these are the ones I should be looking for?

Also how would the Rocktron Prophesy compare to these bad boys. I know TMM (Tom) got one recently but I'm still waiting to hear from him in his thread as to how aweosme it sounds.

I'm more interested in pre-amp only as the GSP will cover my fx for the time being.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you could always get a recto recording preamp, a studio or a triaxis. all actually made by mesa.
I could but I'm trying to do it on a budget which I know is dumb :lol:

I might just get a DC series Combo but then I'd be without a rack... nooooo

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
holy shit!

*that sounds significantly worse than i expected

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
What IS the budget you're working with? Some Mesa stff really isn't THAT expensive. Looking for both a "Mark-like" lead AND a "Recto-like" rhythm is probably going to cost you, but there are some pretty affordable options that might work - the Studio, Rocket, or DC series would put you into Mark-like territory, and the F-30 is probably the best alternative to a Recto I've played. Also, broken record here, but a Nomad might do it too -my old 45 was the second most versatile amp I've ever played, after my Roadster. Because I used Channel 3 for both a "mark-like" lead AND a "Recto-like" rhythm, it wasn't really a live option, but if you're not gigging it covers a LOT of territory.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Man if you're looking for a Mesa-like tone, the Rectifier preamp goes for about $700 on ebay and a Triaxis goes for 1000-1200.

Don't settle for lower end gear if those are the sounds you're looking for. Heck, you could always get a dual rec head for $900 on Ebay and just slave the outs and run the preamp from it too.

The only preamp that approaches Mesa territory quality for under $500 is the Rocktron Piranha, but good luck finding it as it's been long-discontinued and rarely pops up on Ebay.

For preamps, never settle. Ever. IMO they're by far the most important piece of gear you can have, even above the guitar you play. Save your money and get what you want, instead of constantly buying sub-par gear you'll get sick of in 6 months.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I am with everyone else, just get a used Mesa if that's what you are looking for.

And I hate to be the resident DC broken record, but you can get a combo or head DC-5 for a pretty reasonable price these days, and they sound great. My DC kills that MP, IMO.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I do really kind of want an F-30. You should too, if you want affordable Mesa tone that gets loud enough for gigging but can still be used at apartment volume if you're careful about nudging the master knob.

Plus, it's got an EL-84 power section, and I'm an EL84 whore... it'd make a great poweramp for your GSP.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
The F-30 is really an interesting amp. It has a very aggressive "crunch" sound to it, kind of like a Recto... Except it's focused in a completely different section of the midrange. More of an upper mid, warmer sort of sound that works well for rhythm and lead, but never quite as clinical or "tight" as the Recto sound. That may or may not be a good thing for you, but I really dug it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The F-30 is really an interesting amp. It has a very aggressive "crunch" sound to it, kind of like a Recto... Except it's focused in a completely different section of the midrange. More of an upper mid, warmer sort of sound that works well for rhythm and lead, but never quite as clinical or "tight" as the Recto sound. That may or may not be a good thing for you, but I really dug it.
That's why I really liked the one I played. It was like a Recto-lite, except more British in vibe and a little warmer and raunchier (aside from the obvious headroom differences.) The clean channel was fantastic too, very sparkly and easy to drive into mild crunch. I'm sad they discontinued the F series, those were excellent amps.

Although, I wonder how the hell Mesa are getting 30W out of a pair of EL84s. Most amps running two get 15-20W max.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Although, I wonder how the hell Mesa are getting 30W out of a pair of EL84s. Most amps running two get 15-20W max.
The answer, I suspect, has a lot to do with how the hell Mesa is also getting, like, 18 bajillion decibels out of it, too. :lol:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Usually one pops up every once in awhile in CL of my area. I'd rather get a rectifier preamp personally. Want me to pm you when an MP1 shows up?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The answer, I suspect, has a lot to do with how the hell Mesa is also getting, like, 18 bajillion decibels out of it, too. :lol:
That's true of anything with tubes though :lol:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure I'm going with the ADA MP-1 anymore as I don't really want to spend more time/money/resources modifying something.

I'm now looking really into the Engl E530 and Rocktron Piranha. I know the ENGL will not give me Mesa tones but damn the stuff I heard recorded by it sounds great as well and for the price that it's available I think I can swing it.

Keep y'all posted.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
step 1: choose what gear you want :lol:
step 2: save for it
step 3: purchase
step 4: play

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
step 1: choose what gear you want :lol:
step 2: save for it
step 3: purchase
step 4: play
Speaking from experience, this is the way to do it.

Stop pingponging, try a ton of shit out, find what you like, and then buy it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts