Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diagramming up my 2020 Rig Build of Doom and I am likely to buy a piezo equipped guitar to go along with it. I have never used a piezo equipped guitar.

Is there any good reason to run the piezo through a different preamp? I'd be thinking an acoustic preamp.

Does anyone do this? It would add substantially to pedalboard complexity, but it would be more preamps which always equals more awesome.

Plus more shit to MIDI control, which is also always more awesome.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
On-board preamp is usually fine, your amp settings are more important at that point TBH.

Pretty much any acoustic preamp is just juicing up the signal and it may have a bass or treble boost, that's it. Anything more exotic than that gets into the realm of onboard effects IME.

Back before Jeff decided he hated us, he mentioned some either Boss or Roland do-hickey acoustic modeler pedal (it was yellow... no idea what the name and model number was) that I THINK works with any 1/4" signal (like from your mags) but it's 10/10 when you run piezo signal through it. The kinda thing where you can simulate different body sizes and styles in one box.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I was using another preamp I'd bypass the TriAxis so the piezo preamp would run directly into the power amp. If that's just not worth it, then I won't bother.

I actually have the Boss AC-2 Acoustic Simulator but I've only used it with magnetic pickups. It's a pretty neat pedal.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I've used the acoustic simulator with piezo before but I ran an MXR 10 band after it to sculpt. Piezo output actually sounds 99% like magnetic output when you pass it through an amp, just more attack and treble (unless there's EQ sculpting going on). My Parker has piezo and mags output through the same cable depending on how you have the toggle set and half the time I won't catch I'm still on piezo until I've been jamming for a bit.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Are you using all 8 modes on the TA? I'd say, if you're not running one of the clean modes, tailor one of them for the piezo sound :yesway:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used the acoustic simulator with piezo before but I ran an MXR 10 band after it to sculpt. Piezo output actually sounds 99% like magnetic output when you pass it through an amp, just more attack and treble (unless there's EQ sculpting going on). My Parker has piezo and mags output through the same cable depending on how you have the toggle set and half the time I won't catch I'm still on piezo until I've been jamming for a bit.
Huh. I'm not going to bother then. I'll just keep using the AC-2.

Are you using all 8 modes on the TA? I'd say, if you're not running one of the clean modes, tailor one of them for the piezo sound :yesway:
I haven't had it for long, and I've currently got it de-racked for some refurbishment, but to be honest I live on Lead 2 Yellow (Mark IIC+ mode, right?). It sounds so fucking good.

When this all comes together I'm sure I'll dial in something sweet using one of the two clean modes.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I have 5 guitars with piezos, and this is my signal path for them. It's not super complicated really - one cable out of the mag jack into my regular amp, and the other one from the piezo to here where it belongs:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The consensus is there's no fucking point to piezos :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Skip. That shit is useless. Waste of money/time. There's a reason none of the guitarists with great clean tones use piezos. In addition to the fact that no one can name a single tone off the top of their head that has that "iconic piezo sound".

If you must add additional stuff to your rig. MIDI pickup/Sustainer/etc. is way more useful.

The Electro Harmonix pedals that don't need a MIDI pickup are also cool if you must have stuff to fuck around with beyond the "Standard" sounds. I've had three of them now and they are all fun.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I actually have the Boss AC-2 Acoustic Simulator but I've only used it with magnetic pickups. It's a pretty neat pedal.
You don't need a piezo pickup then. The pedals are more convincing anyways.

Piezos on solid body guitars are;

-add unnecessary complexity
-add unnecessary expense
-don't even sound good

Piezos actual useful applications are all for hollow body instruments where you don't want to add a magnetic pickup. On solid body guitars designed to house magnetic pickups they are pointless as fuck.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Just buy an Axe-Fx. The acoustic sims people came up with for them sound better than piezos all day long.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Someone needs to tell John Petrucci he's wrong :lol:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He is oh so right about amps though.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pic of some Sasquatch looking dude.
The AxeFx rules but I don't want one right now and dissing modelers amuses me.

He uses his for effects. Dude still uses his proper Mesa amps.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
I like the tones I get out of my 2027vv and 2127 ibbys with piezo. Pristine kinda clean that I just flip a switch to. Maybe I could dial in the same with gear but it's easier to flip the switch.

That said though, I still mostly just use the clean mags instead because flipping the switch mid beat is still an extra pita step.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
When I built a massive rig a few years back, I sent the piezo through a Fishman Platinum DI straight to FOH, also added a delay in the DI loop because of course I'd put delay on everything. Also I tri-split the signal with my usual guitar sound and a guitar synth also going FOH.

Sounded fine, maybe good, got away with it. Even well enough that I had a lot of gearheads come to me asking how I got an RG to sound like a real acoustic. :lol:

The Fishman is not cheap though, but it's one of my best investments. I bring it to every acoustic gig and session, even used it for my SRH505F for my quasi upright sounds.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
The consensus is there's no fucking point to piezos :lol:
No, I just mean that it's not so drastically different than magnetic pickups that you need a whole new rig.

I play a lot of acoustic fingerstyle and acoustic guitars are inconvenient, doubly if you need one live and quadrupley if you need to alternate from one to the other during a song.

Piezos as just an alternative for clean tracks is a fucking waste but they're 10/10 if you're specifically copping acoustic dynamics. Another nice tricks is blending piezo with the neck pickup with the tone rolled off, which gives a fatter 'mic'd acoustic' vibe as opposed to a straight acoustic-electric direct sound.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts