Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PT 1
PT 2 (added 05/02/2011)

Probably going to have one or two more preproduction video, then we'll get into series 2....Studio Blog. :yesway:

If you like what you hear or see, please add us on facebook since we update that with new stuff almost daily. Link is in my sig. :metal:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
:yesway:

I hope you are doing all your pre-production to a click, so that your drummer is used to it when you go to track for reals.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I hope you are doing all your pre-production to a click, so that your drummer is used to it when you go to track for reals.
Yes and no, everyone's got tracks With a click that we all rehearse to at home. At the current moment we don't have a way to get everyone a click/play a click that will be loud enough during full rehearsal.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Have the drummer put the clicks on his ipod. Have him listen to them on his iPod while you all play. If there are parts where he's not playing, have him just give you a count on the hi-hats.

Or, play the ipod through your PA, and turn them up loud enough that everyone can hear them, I can hear your vocalist over the band, so I know your PA is loud enough. The clicks will be deafeningly loud, annoying as hell, and make for a rehearsal that's not so fun. They will however ensure that your recording is as good as it can be.

Alternatively, when you go to record you can struggle to get good takes to the click.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have the drummer put the clicks on his ipod. Have him listen to them on his iPod while you all play. If there are parts where he's not playing, have him just give you a count on the hi-hats.

Or, play the ipod through your PA, and turn them up loud enough that everyone can hear them, I can hear your vocalist over the band, so I know your PA is loud enough. The clicks will be deafeningly loud, annoying as hell, and make for a rehearsal that's not so fun. They will however ensure that your recording is as good as it can be.

Alternatively, when you go to record you can struggle to get good takes to the click.
Apparently everyone ever owns an iPod? :rofl: We actually still believe in buying CDs. :yesway:

Actually, I was planning on rigging up something like that very soon for the 5 tracks we're recording. We are doing guitars first, because I have programmed drums I can use as a reference and simply delete before recording the actual drums, so that will make it a bit easier. I am completely comfortable with a click, as are the other guys.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I still buy CDs too... but I do own an mp3 player.... it's not 1994 any more! Also, mp3 players don't skip from the vibrations of a loud bass amp like a CD can :)

I would caution against recording guitars first. It can work out, but generally speaking, you will get a better product recording to the final drums instead of the drum machine. Even with a click track, the human drums will have a little push and pull to the tempo, if you track to that you'll get a better guitar performance than tracking to the rigid drum machine tracks.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still buy CDs too... but I do own an mp3 player.... it's not 1994 any more! Also, mp3 players don't skip from the vibrations of a loud bass amp like a CD can :)

I would caution against recording guitars first. It can work out, but generally speaking, you will get a better product recording to the final drums instead of the drum machine. Even with a click track, the human drums will have a little push and pull to the tempo, if you track to that you'll get a better guitar performance than tracking to the rigid drum machine tracks.
Took your advice....
Click tracks by 7slinger on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free :yesway: Will be using these Sunday. I don't have any worries about doing guitar first, I understand that human drums will have a little push and pull to the tempo, however I actually program the drums as close as possible to what my drummer actually plays and I am comfortable enough with the click myself to still give it the push and pull feel it needs. Not a big fan, but it seemed to work quite well for Metallica. Not sure about present day, but I know Kill Em All through the Black Album were done this way.

What we're planning is this:
All guitars and bass are going to be recorded at my house, we're tracking drums at our drummers house because he pretty much already has a room within a room and the drums sound damn good in that room. I will be reamping all guitars and also probably reamping bass on most tracks (and combining the DI track and reamped track), and the reamping will be done at our friend's house because he's letting us use his vintage Marshall, Musicman HD130, Carvin Legacy I and II, and Fender Bassman. :yesway: However I am worried about recording there because he doesn't have any type of closet to use as an amp room, and I do at my house. So I need to at least figure out something to use as a temporary amp closet.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Do NOT use a closet, that will add a ton of a low and low mid garbage to the track. If you can, put the amp in a big room (even if it's not treated), and then close mic it. The amp "closets" you see in pro studios are specifically designed to eliminate ringing and are very well treated acoustically. A typical home closet will sound like complete shit. Trust me... I've done it.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do NOT use a closet, that will add a ton of a low and low mid garbage to the track. If you can, put the amp in a big room (even if it's not treated), and then close mic it. The amp "closets" you see in pro studios are specifically designed to eliminate ringing and are very well treated acoustically. A typical home closet will sound like complete shit. Trust me... I've done it.
Gotcha. Was planning on close micing the amps anyway, but I see exactly what you mean now that I think about it. He's got a big room (where all the amps are) so I guess that works out for the best. I've seen some guys put some foam/acoustic panels around the cabinet itself to kinda have it closed in, I don't know exactly what they used but it sounded pretty damn good.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
The foam panels will kill the high end reflections but let the muddy bass pass right through. A closet, with solid walls, will bounce the bass back into the mic

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well... playing to the click was a failure. :lol: When we could Hear it we were dead on, however when we played the songs as they're supposed to be we completely overpowered it, and we had the click Cranked. Its a shit little PA, and then using my phone with earbuds didn't work either, still overpowered it. Need some good headphones, or even better....a non-shit PA for practice.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Well... playing to the click was a failure. :lol: When we could Hear it we were dead on, however when we played the songs as they're supposed to be we completely overpowered it, and we had the click Cranked. Its a shit little PA, and then using my phone with earbuds didn't work either, still overpowered it. Need some good headphones, or even better....a non-shit PA for practice.
Our drummer plays to a click through earbuds, and the rest of us play to him. This keep the drummer in time, and has the benefit of making the band sound more organic, since we're locking into what he is playing, instead of a click.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Yeah this would work great if we didn't also overpower the earbuds. :lol: I was playing them from my soundcloud page though, maybe if I mix them way louder before converting to wav and load them on my phone and use winamp it'll work better?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Honestly, if you can hear the vocal over the music, you can get the click loud enough. Master the click as loud as possible, and put it on an mp3 player, then blast it.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
or have everyone turn down. :lol:
Nah, we only play as loud as we have to. The click was cranked as high as it could be without getting feedback squeals...which was at 8 out of 10. Like I said maybe if I mix it super high and then use winamp (wavs directly on my phone) rather than streaming from soundcloud.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts