Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on another site. I don't make too many PPT's, my life revolves around Visio, but for those that do I could see this being pretty slick.

I dont how many of you have to create presentations on a regular basis, but Ive found a great program that is infinitly better than .ppt

Prezi - The Zooming Presentation Editor

This is brilliant in just about every sense. The interface is great and the ability to present information in a non-linear and unique way is incredibly useful. Its pretty much free. I think its only a matter of time before its bought up Google or some such entity, I can see this as a feature for GMail, replacing its PowerPoint clone with something a lot more unique, useful and cloudbased.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Looks pretty interesting; I'd have to actually create something with this before I give it a thumbs up.

As a person who has done, and still does, a lot of Powerpoint presentations, I am kind of stuck with that particular piece of software. I use a lot of big templates that would take a lot of time to transpose.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Powerpoint has been itching for a replacement since like 2004.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I fucking hate powerpoint. Hate hate hate hate hate hate it.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Powerpoint has been itching for a replacement since like 2004.
This is so true. Seriously. It really is. It is a very antiquated package and has seen no further development with the deployment of Office 2010 than say, a semi-new interface, with minor changes from 2007.

But in reality it works. It really takes some time to put together a serious presentation. In acadamia, everything I see is still a Powerpoint presentation built off of older templates modified with new data. Hell, I have Powerpoint presentations that are 4 hours long that are still relevant that I would be hard pressed to take the 20-30 hours it would take to convert them.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
They get the job done, but making a good one is an art. The software sucks and always has. Seems to get worse with each new version.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Does anyone else remember transparencies ? :lol:
I used to see transparencies up till about halfway through highschool :lol:

Now they just use the elmo. like a digital transparency.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Signed up for the middle of the road one, get it free as a university student, ill check it out and let you guys know

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Prezi has been around for a while - We've been using it at work now and then. I hate powerpoint - vile vile program (Keynote isnt much better tho)

PowerPoint doesnt require an internet connection - prezi has crap exporting (we had problems with it...)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is so true. Seriously. It really is. It is a very antiquated package and has seen no further development with the deployment of Office 2010 than say, a semi-new interface, with minor changes from 2007.

But in reality it works. It really takes some time to put together a serious presentation. In acadamia, everything I see is still a Powerpoint presentation built off of older templates modified with new data. Hell, I have Powerpoint presentations that are 4 hours long that are still relevant that I would be hard pressed to take the 20-30 hours it would take to convert them.
Semi-related: My goodness, do I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate the 2010 toolbars. They're fucking horrid. Why MicroAwful thought it was a good idea to remap shortcut keys in every application is fucking beyond me.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Prezi has been around for a while - We've been using it at work now and then. I hate powerpoint - vile vile program (Keynote isnt much better tho)

PowerPoint doesnt require an internet connection - prezi has crap exporting (we had problems with it...)
That's a pretty huge downside. (and arguably one that extends to all cloud computing stuff). If a sales guy shows up at my place to pitch me something, he's not getting an internet connection. I'll provide a conference room and a projector, absolutely, but there's no way I'm letting him plug a foreign laptop into my network.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Semi-related: My goodness, do I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate the 2010 toolbars. They're fucking horrid. Why MicroAwful thought it was a good idea to remap shortcut keys in every application is fucking beyond me.
I am so lost with the 2010 toolbars sometimes.

I've found a few things they've been useful for, but for example, to insert a new row in Excel, I kept hitting the "Insert" tab. Nope, not there.

Intuitively, I would think that if I were going to insert something, that'd be the place to go.

Nope, it's on the home tab. :confused:

Thanks for messing with my analytical logic there guys.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am so lost with the 2010 toolbars sometimes.

I've found a few things they've been useful for, but for example, to insert a new row in Excel, I kept hitting the "Insert" tab. Nope, not there.

Intuitively, I would think that if I were going to insert something, that'd be the place to go.

Nope, it's on the home tab. :confused:

Thanks for messing with my analytical logic there guys.
I've spent a metric fuckton of time optimizing my computer usage over the years in terms of keyboard shortcuts, alt-keys, macros, etc. In the old Office, I rarely even had to touch the mouse in most applications. Then when the shiny new toolbar came out, 90% of the old fucking shortcuts didn't work.

For example, to toss a signature in an email, it was alt-I(nsert)/S(ignatures)/D(efault). I had like 50 combos like that committed to memory so that I could just crank through documents and formatting shit. The new menus, in their quest to be ever-so-user-friendly (read: dumbass-proof) oversimplified everything to the point of madness, so that while new people might think "wow this is neat-o, just click this and the text becomes bold!", most power users were pulling their hair out trying to find where the fuck all of their common commands went.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts