Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transparency: Paying the Same Amount for Smaller Products - Business - GOOD

I've noticed this for quite some time now... My kid likes to eat Totino's oven pizzas. A few years ago, Pepperoni would come with at least 20 slices. Nowadays, there's only about 10 at most.

I mean, just about everything in supermarkets today are processed, freeze-dried, HFCS laced (at least in the US), synthetic, and/or dark-farmed anyway so why is this happening? Is this greed or inflation or what?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Greed on the part of company's, but they get away with it because most people are ignorant, just don't care, and will keep buying the products regardless.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
this is why I always buy based on the price per oz, if it's listed.
:agreed:

Ever since I started my career, I've been able to pay more attention to the food I buy at the store. I don't have a fancy car, but when I buy a steak, I make sure it's not from a factory farm :agreed:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts

Tesco is actually relatively helpful in that they do the maths for you, and list it on the product tag. If you're a student - and I am - it's really important to look.
That's how I shop. Always. You tend to (obvious, really) get more for less money, but on occasion it's completely backwards - a big tin of evaporated milk costs less than a small tin, and sometimes it's cheaper to buy smaller singles to make up the cost of a big one. Given how skint I am perpetually, you learn to do the sums. I can feed myself for two weeks on about £2 a day if I'm frugal, and that's with proper meals throughout the day!

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts

Ever since I started my career, I've been able to pay more attention to the food I buy at the store. I don't have a fancy car, but when I buy a steak, I make sure it's not from a factory farm :agreed:
Most people never realize it, but the best deals to be had are directly from the butcher's counter. The cuts are better than the stuff in the coolers, and they often are running specials that make it cheaper.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Most people never realize it, but the best deals to be had are directly from the butcher's counter. The cuts are better than the stuff in the coolers, and they often are running specials that make it cheaper.
Never knew that. I don't buy a lot of meat, but I'll check that out for sure. :yesway:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I've noticed over the past few years, with the dog food we buy, the prices go up, and the weight of the bag slowly decreases.

Not only this, but there are also a lot of bargain cuts that not a lot of people know of, that are substantially cheaper.

Take chuck eye for example. It's the cut right past the ribeye, so it still has a lot of flavor, but can be found for around $5.99/lb around here, vs. $13-$15 for the ribeye. It may not be "quite" as good as a ribeye, but chuck eye is a great alternative if you're looking to save some money.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I've noticed over the past few years, with the dog food we buy, the prices go up, and the weight of the bag slowly decreases.

Not only this, but there are also a lot of bargain cuts that not a lot of people know of, that are substantially cheaper.

Take chuck eye for example. It's the cut right past the ribeye, so it still has a lot of flavor, but can be found for around $5.99/lb around here, vs. $13-$15 for the ribeye. It may not be "quite" as good as a ribeye, but chuck eye is a great alternative if you're looking to save some money.
At least here, it is often the case that frozen salmon in the bag costs the same per pound as getting fresh Atlantic Salmon from the butcher's counter.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Never knew that. I don't buy a lot of meat, but I'll check that out for sure. :yesway:
Yeah, I figured you were getting paid to eat it.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
It's happening with everything.

One of the big commercial bakeries up here just reduced the size of a loaf of bread and kept the price the same. Some organizations that provide kids lunches were caught off guard when all of a sudden their budget for bread wasn't making as many sandwiches. The company justified it by saying they "standardized" their loaf sizes... yeah... standardized to a smaller, more profitable loaf.

One of their competitors hasn't reduced their loaf size and the prices are the same. Guess which one i buy now?

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Heh. Do you get put in the trolley when you go shopping?
No, but I have the satisfaction of not being Scottish. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts

The Safeway across the street often carries thick-sliced, applewood-smoked bacon at the counter, typically for less per pound than the pre-packaged crap that is just some pork fat soaked in liquid smoke. They also do something similar with fillet, carrying the cut right past the Mignon cut that is just as tender, but with some marbling. The marbling makes it better IMHO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.