Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prince: the internet's completely over - Telegraph

While I applaud his attitude (and his incredible guitar playing), he might be a wee off the mark. :lol:

Talking to The Mirror, Prince said: "The internet is completely over. I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won't pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can't get it."

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Hearing that today, I went to the Prince Wiki. Turns out, he was the first artist to release an Internet only album.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Sucks when you get older doesn't it? The internet is so far from dead that by removing yourself from it basically turns you into a dinosaur that no one has ever heard of.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Sucks when you get older doesn't it? The internet is so far from dead that by removing yourself from it basically turns you into a dinosaur that no one has ever heard of.
While I cannot disagree that he is acting stupid, Prince will ALWAYS be known. He'll consistently be right up there with the greats from AC/DC to Parliament to BB King to Michael Jackson to the Beatles to the Rolling Stones (stylistically, he's all of them). The guy is monumentally influential, and his place in history has long been assured. People will absolutely look back and wonder what the hell he thought he was going to accomplish, like an even more pointless of a gesture than when Pearl Jam boycotted Ticketmaster.

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
I saw a post on this and it was accompanied by a lot of knee-jerk reaction from people, but I think it's being taken somewhat out of context. He's obviously referring to the (perceived, on his part) obsolescence of the net as a distribution mechanism for music, not that the overall value of the internet is in any way, shape, or form moot. To a certain extent, I agree with him as it hasn't proven to be the cure-all for music distribution as it has oft been toted as, and there's a lot to be said for a lot of artists working on their own models to... well, get paid. :cool: IMHO, as an exposure mechanism, it's turned into another MTV, Clear Channel, etc. scenario where if you're not marquee'd on the front page of Myspace Music, iTunes, etc., you're not moving your work... for all it's unlimited breadth, the scope is as narrow as many previous outlets as it's taken on the "Web 2.0" incarnation. :noway:

That said, I'll also criticize him here in toting that his model is somehow a realistic rebuttal... and add Trent Reznor and Radiohead to that stack, all who've made alternative means of making money off their art, and declared those systems as some sort of answer. :roll2: It works for all the aforementioned as they were household names before the internet thing blossomed. How the fuck that translates to artists who haven't even reached their own respective underground markets, let alone had a shot in every household in the world containing electricity is beyond me. :noplease: Take Prince's model, to distribute his CD in magazines (who benefit by having his face as a draw, and subsequently their advertisers paying out as gads of Prince fans buy mags to get his music): How does he expect anyone without legendary cred to even begin to implement that? Frankly, legacy artists finding ways to dodge the torrent/file share bullet doesn't exactly make for a business model for any musician who's not known, but might/will be over the next decade or more. :squint: Until then, as underwhelming as the net is, its probably still one of the best bets.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
There are lessons to be drawn from this for non-famous musicians, and there are people out there working on this stuff. If you can build up a base of 1,000 fans or so, you can sell a special edition CD package that recoups its costs after surprisingly few copies are sold. The package itself is deluxe and is maybe the most important part of the product. This has worked for a number of artists with small, but devoted fan bases.

There's no substitute for getting out there in the clubs to build such a fan base, though. Also, it's obviously not going to be a huge money maker for anyone. The days of the multimillionaire rock star are probably drawing to a close. Too bad Prince spent all his money on that colossal ego complex of his in Minneapolis.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
While I cannot disagree that he is acting stupid, Prince will ALWAYS be known. He'll consistently be right up there with the greats from AC/DC to Parliament to BB King to Michael Jackson to the Beatles to the Rolling Stones (stylistically, he's all of them). The guy is monumentally influential, and his place in history has long been assured. People will absolutely look back and wonder what the hell he thought he was going to accomplish, like an even more pointless of a gesture than when Pearl Jam boycotted Ticketmaster.
this is true. i suppose my interraging should have pointed out that i may have been exaggerating a tad. I'm just saying, he's dumb. hah.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Prince is a very forward thinking artist, something of an iconoclast, and a definite innovator. I don't see him not being relevant anytime soon.

That said...

Instead the artist has opted to release his latest album 20Ten in CD format only as a cover-mount free giveaway with The Daily Mirror this weekend.
The internet is "over," so he turns to a newspaper...? :scratch:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I think alot of the big acts BEFORE the internet dont like having to compete with kids in their basements that are actually better than they are and have internet axcess so the whole world can see.

So if i was one of those pre net guys that lived large and it got crushed by the net, i'd be saying it was dead too.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I think alot of the big acts BEFORE the internet dont like having to compete with kids in their basements that are actually better than they are and have internet axcess so the whole world can see.

So if i was one of those pre net guys that lived large and it got crushed by the net, i'd be saying it was dead too.
Dude, Prince doesn't have to compete with some basement shredder. Someone might be able to play faster and with more complexity, but he's got a killer singing voice and has already become a "big act." He doesn't have to compete with anyone, and can be perfectly content with the fact that somewhere around 60% of the American female population fantasize about being in his bed.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
There is a lot of prince cock riding in this thread. while i get that he has paid his dues and not being on the innernets isn't going to stop him from being popular, i think the biggest thing that everyone is trying to say is this: price needs to harden the fuck up and get used to the internet. It's not going anywhere and anyone who isn't already a superstar basically needs the net to get anywhere in their career. boosh.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Part of me wants to say good for him and part of me thinks it's just Prince being Prince. He's always been a bit out of the ordinary.
I do miss the pre-internet days when a band really had to work their asses off to get somewhere. Being able to become a rockstar without ever leaving your house kind of makes it lose some of the magic. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Part of me wants to say good for him and part of me thinks it's just Prince being Prince. He's always been a bit out of the ordinary.
I do miss the pre-internet days when a band really had to work their asses off to get somewhere. Being able to become a rockstar without ever leaving your house kind of makes it lose some of the magic. :lol:
Except you really can't. That's kind of the point I'm trying to make.

And, it's becoming less and less like what we think of when we think "rockstar" anyways.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Dude, Prince doesn't have to compete with some basement shredder. Someone might be able to play faster and with more complexity, but he's got a killer singing voice and has already become a "big act." He doesn't have to compete with anyone, and can be perfectly content with the fact that somewhere around 60% of the American female population fantasize about being in his bed.
This is true, in like 1992.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Still true today. Prince covers used to get requested all the time when I played in a cover band... and I could never convince the guys that we should learn some to help in the lady department... This is what I get for playing with "married old fogies." :rofl:

(Actually, it was because the singer couldn't hit some notes and the guitar player didn't want to learn the songs... but what can you do?)

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Prince covers used to get requested all the time when I played in a cover band... and I could never convince the guys that we should learn some to help in the lady department... This is what I get for playing with "married old fogies." :rofl:
It probably helps to LOOK like prince too :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
How to solo 101:

Just one of the many reasons that it doesn't matter if Prince turns his back on the net, changes his name to some made up symbol, dresses like a dipshit, doesn't release an album for ten years, whatever. He's already a legend. Everyone can just get back to me when they play the fucking Super Bowl. Prince is so badass that when he played Purple Rain, it actually started raining.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts