1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Been meaning to watch this. :yesway:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ear training and modal fluency. Such different priorities from the instruction given by many rock guitarists. Not that they haven't mastered those things, but while Gilbert or Petrucci might have one working techniques as a 'basis', Satch's philosophy seems to be "become a musician first -- technique can come naturally with time and develop alongside your musical progression with the instrument." Reminds me of my first and only guitar teacher -- a jazz cat :cool:.

-M

13 minutes in. This is fucking awkward.
And yeah... that dude is definitely soiling himself. :rofl: And jabbering aimlessly. Can't say I wouldn't.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Actually, I meant both of them. Satch asked what the guy can do, and the guy tears it up playing Satch Boogie. It's pretty clear from that point there's not a lot of technique Satch can teach him (Satch is hardly a technique monster), save for some idiosyncrasies (which is what the guy asked about).

Satch then goes on to pick apart his playing, picking up on pretty inconsequential stuff, whilst spouting a load of mostly nonsense platitudes. They're both pretty good humoured about it, but it was awkward from start to finish.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I think it would be twice as awkward sitting in front of him trying to play.
I can confirm this. I took a "VIP" (restricted group) lesson from Paul Gilbert the first tour he offered them. Everyone seems to be doing these sessions now! Anyway, I was just as awkward as this dude. He's a great player, though, holding up really well in front of his idol. I went totally hamfisted in front of Gilbert, who then complimented me on my bungling tremolo picking. Ouch.

I really lapped up the video (saw it a few days ago), for me it shows how much Satch is the "real deal" as a guru. I was once a huge fan of his. But then I found his music became increasingly repetitive and lacking in focus. In fact, the only time I've seen Satch live was to catch Gilbert opening for him in London, and I found Joe's set dragged on terribly (he did over two hours and I was just willing it to end).

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a meet and greet with Joe a few years ago and he was really cool. He talked to a small group of us for about an hour. Most the tunes he played were all early stuff and his performance was flawless.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Actually, I meant both of them. Satch asked what the guy can do, and the guy tears it up playing Satch Boogie. It's pretty clear from that point there's not a lot of technique Satch can teach him (Satch is hardly a technique monster), save for some idiosyncrasies (which is what the guy asked about).

Satch then goes on to pick apart his playing, picking up on pretty inconsequential stuff, whilst spouting a load of mostly nonsense platitudes. They're both pretty good humoured about it, but it was awkward from start to finish.
We must have seen different videos because there was a ton that guy could learn and Satriani hinted at a lot of it. It requires a lot more than he can do in an hour and he gave him some very constructive feedback.

Satriani has plenty of effective technique which is different from most of what I hear from most rock and metal players who have a tendency to have very active fingers and but comparatively inactive ears and theoretical understanding.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I really lapped up the video (saw it a few days ago), for me it shows how much Satch is the "real deal" as a guru. I was once a huge fan of his. But then I found his music became increasingly repetitive and lacking in focus. In fact, the only time I've seen Satch live was to catch Gilbert opening for him in London, and I found Joe's set dragged on terribly (he did over two hours and I was just willing it to end).
Check out his newest, hearing Satch with a killer band backing him is an experience. I've not been a fan of his last few for precicely the same reasons (pretty much from SBM on, though Prof. Satchafunkus whatever had some good tracks on it), but this one absolutely owns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts