Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a lot of new guitar stuff going on like using a modeler and trying to learn reaper a bit.

Had an issue where my guitar would randomly sound fizzy and I was getting a lot of artifacts. I also had a lot of noise issues. So I tried a bunch of different stuff - swapped cables, restated computer but still got random issues with signal. While fiddling with settings for the umpteenth time my guitar died.... and yup the 9 volt was dead. :D Still not used to having active pickups and not familiar with those quirks.

I'm such a fucking noob :rofl: To make matters worse I put the new 9 volt in the wrong way and no output :lol: and it may or may not have taken me longer to figure that out than it should have.

Anyway I may actually have something recorded sometime in the near future. I'm sure this will continue to be a bit of a clusterfuck, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of me being a complete dumbass. :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I have some anxiety about batteries, at least I found out I did once I eliminated them from my pedalboard :lol:. My bass is active, and I check the battery with my multimeter whenever I pull it out to play, and I just went active on an old guitar with some Fishmans, but I got their lithium battery pack, which is supposed to last ridiculously long before needing a recharge... and there's a light on it to tell you when you need it.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
I had the same nearly a year ago, although for me the issue was that the signal was absurdly compressed... More so than expected even for EMGs. Change battery and BOOM it's all fine

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have some anxiety about batteries, at least I found out I did once I eliminated them from my pedalboard :lol:. My bass is active, and I check the battery with my multimeter whenever I pull it out to play, and I just went active on an old guitar with some Fishmans, but I got their lithium battery pack, which is supposed to last ridiculously long before needing a recharge... and there's a light on it to tell you when you need it.
Yeah i am thinking about trying to add one of those battery packs just for the led battery status light. They have the battery pack on the US built version of my guitar so I need to check one of those out to see how/ where they actually put the battery.

oh and another protip. The HX Stomp is SUPER Picky about what usb cable you use. (that was the source of my noise.....)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I got the Strat battery pack, and it was like $100, but this guitar is pretty bougie anyways :lol:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Don't feel bad, you're not alone. My bass has a battery and since I've never owned a guitar with active pickups, I had no idea it was just like a pedal where if you left the guitar cable plugged in the battery would drain. Sat down to record the morning after I had left it plugged in and had the exact same experience you did - after I'd tried everything I thought "maybe it's the battery? nah... that can't be it... well, I'll replace it just to see..." and BAM worked fine. :lol:

Reactions: 343

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't feel bad, you're not alone. My bass has a battery and since I've never owned a guitar with active pickups, I had no idea it was just like a pedal where if you left the guitar cable plugged in the battery would drain. Sat down to record the morning after I had left it plugged in and had the exact same experience you did - after I'd tried everything I thought "maybe it's the battery? nah... that can't be it... well, I'll replace it just to see..." and BAM worked fine. :lol:

BATTERY BROS UNITE

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Pro tip: Throw your shitty actives in the trash where they belong and get proper passives. :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Yeah chief I'm gonna have to differ on that one. Super Distortion, D-Activator, Evo, etc all kill EMGs IMO.
Although those are all good pickups, they pale in comparison to Fishman, Blackouts, and most EMGs.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
The Elysian Trident II DESTROYS EMGs. Period.

/Thread

1 - 19 of 19 Posts