Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

when I got my RG2228A the intonation of the 8th string (F) was way off (12th fret fretted sharp compared to 12th fret harmonic).

I just tried to adjust the intonation by moving the saddle of the 8th string back, and the intonation did get better, but it's still not 100%, but the saddle is already almost all the way back (only about 1mm room left for moving it back).

Is this normal for the 8th string to not be 100% in correct intonation? Or what can I do to adjust the intonation when the saddle is already all the way to the back but the 12th fret fretted note is still sharp compared to the 12th fret harmonic?

This is how far back I got the saddle on the 8th already, while intonation is still a bit off.
As you can see the saddle is already all the way back:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I currently have a 74 on mine that won't intonate properly the entire way, i'm gonna try a 65 on there and see if it makes a difference in intonation. I'll let you know :yesway:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I currently have a 74 on mine that won't intonate properly the entire way, i'm gonna try a 65 on there and see if it makes a difference in intonation. I'll let you know :yesway:
Thanks!

I didn't know you were on this forum, too! :yesway:

Mine has a 065 on now. When you got your 2228 did it have a 065 on initially?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yeah it had the stock strings Ibanez include 9-42+54+65 tuned a half step down, then I put on a set of Crazy Eights from La Bella (9-12-15-22-30-40-54-74) tuned to F#

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it had the stock strings Ibanez include 9-42+54+65 tuned a half step down, then I put on a set of Crazy Eights from La Bella (9-12-15-22-30-40-54-74) tuned to F#
Yeah, mine is in the stock tuning, too and with the stock strings still.

How was the intonation on yours in stock tuning and with the 065?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Couldn't tell ya, I put on the la Bella's as soon as I got the guitar do I didn't have a chance to measure the stock strings although the set I'm putting on next is the same as the stock gauge so we will see.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couldn't tell ya, I put on the la Bella's as soon as I got the guitar do I didn't have a chance to measure the stock strings although the set I'm putting on next is the same as the stock gauge so we will see.
OK, thanks!

I checked on my Agile 8-string and I realized there the bridge saddle of the 8th string is also all the way back but the intonation on the 8th string 12th fret is not 100% right (a bit sharp). But playing it, I had never noticed this, as I barely ever fret the 8th string up there.
I kinda assume that maybe the intonation on the 8th string may always be a bit of a problem and won't be 100% ....:confused:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
If you go lighter, it'll be even worse, no? A 65 gauge tuned to F# on a 27" scale is going to sound like a wet fart.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you go lighter, it'll be even worse, no? A 65 gauge tuned to F# on a 27" scale is going to sound like a wet fart.
In theory no it should make it better. A smaller core intonates more easily than a bigger core/gauge, which is why the saddle goes further back the lower the pitch goes for your other strings and you get the angled look across the saddles

tension will be lower from the smaller gauge which may attribute to the "wet fart" sound, but smaller gauge strings typically have a higher attack and sound less compressed so as long as your picking hand is kept light and controlled it should be fine. Dino Cazares (not the best example for some folks but i digress :lol: ) uses a 65 gauge for his f# (if i remember correctly) and a 52 for his low B, and the guy's tone is definitely not a wet fart

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
In theory no it should make it better. A smaller core intonates more easily than a bigger core/gauge, which is why the saddle goes further back the lower the pitch goes for your other strings and you get the angled look across the saddles

tension will be lower from the smaller gauge which may attribute to the "wet fart" sound, but smaller gauge strings typically have a higher attack and sound less compressed so as long as your picking hand is kept light and controlled it should be fine. Dino Cazares (not the best example for some folks but i digress :lol: ) uses a 65 gauge for his f# (if i remember correctly) and a 52 for his low B, and the guy's tone is definitely not a wet fart
I used, and will be going back down to a 56 in A soon, it sounds awesome.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Why is there a but there? It should read
"It's still the factory string, so its more likely to be a bad string than paris hilton was likely to be a media whore in the mid to late 2000s"

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Probably not - if you look at the end of the fine tuning screw it sits in a groove that adjusts the angle of the saddle for pitch adjustments, and you can only move the saddle back before you run out of groove if that makes sense?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just wanted to check on the intonation again and now I noticed that when I tune the low 8th string intonation is already off (sharp) when fretted on 1st fret, even though I am really fretting with a very light touch.

Wouldn't this indicate that it's either a bad string or there is really something wrong with the guitar?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
guitars are inherently inperfect instruments when it comes to intonation. having a note sharp on the first fret is actually very common for most if not all of the strings, if you check the other strings I believe you'd notice the same issue.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
CHANGE THE STRING.

Seriously, stock strings aren't always the best, and you should NEVER try to intonate your guitar with old strings, as it will not intonate properly.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CHANGE THE STRING.

Seriously, stock strings aren't always the best, and you should NEVER try to intonate your guitar with old strings, as it will not intonate properly.
Thanks.

I will put on a thicker string for the 8th string on my next string change.

But I do know that one should only adjust intonation on new strings, but these strings ARE new as is the guitar.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.