Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, having an issue with the new KxK. For the life of me, I CAN NOT loosen the bass side trem claw screw. I've fucked with it so much my palm is literally swollen and numb from pushing hard into the screw driver and trying to loosen it. I've tried tapping the screwdriver into the screw with a hammer to see if it will get a better grip, but it's still not helping. The screw is seriously starting to strip, and I'm a bit worried. Anyone know how I can unstick the damn thing? The guitar won't be playable until I can get that fucking screw to loosen.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Vicegrips and a new screw

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, didn't think of vice grips. It's going to be an hour of this shit though, the vice grips are only moving it about a quarter of a turn at a time because they keep slipping, the screw is THAT stuck. I'm assuming it's the humidity here, making the wood tight around the screw or some shit, because the screw wasn't marred up at all when I started, and there's no way Rob would have been able to get it in there like this in Cali without fucking it up. Going to have to pillage a screw from one of my other guitars that's in pieces :lol: The threads on the screw I'm unscrewing is pretty much completely fucked from the vice grips, which are so tight on the screw I pretty much have to use pliers to unlock them.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I've dropped Rob a line, we'll see what he says. :yesway:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't want to bother Rob because it's obviously nothing he did and I'm not going to ship the guitar to get him to remove a screw :lol: He got it in there without marring the screw at all, and even with a power drill, this thing would be fucked if it went in half as hard as it's coming out.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Humidity change = expanding wood like a motherfucker, perhaps?

Do you have a tap and die? It's going to be a fucking harrowing experience drilling out a snapped screw head on a brand new KxK.

Make sure the screw itself stays nice and cool too. If you put a power drill on it when it's warm, you run a bigger risk of snapping it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The vice grips are working....it's just slow and steady. Better to take it easy though and not risk fucking something up.
See above post - take your time with it. If the screw's making a lot of friction against the wood even in the small turns, it will be heating up, and you WILL be very unhappy in a few minutes.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The going is so slow I don't think that's going to be too much of a problem. It's like turn, get pliers, press the unlock thingy, very gently release the grips so they don't mar the wood underneath, re-adjust so they're tight again because I have a shitty pair that doesn't hold it's setting, clamp, repeat :lol: The screw doesn't feel warm to the touch.

EDIT: Also, not using a power drill, clamping onto the threads of the screw.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unscrewed it a bit and the screw loosed up, was able to unscrew it even in it semi-stripped state decently. Thanks for the suggestion Max :metal: I'm going to blame the humidity here vs Cali.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I didn't want to bother Rob because it's obviously nothing he did and I'm not going to ship the guitar to get him to remove a screw :lol: He got it in there without marring the screw at all, and even with a power drill, this thing would be fucked if it went in half as hard as it's coming out.
Well, I told him to glue your trem screws in, so they wouldn't fall out. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Well, in all fairness, I did have him use glue made from the remains of 5yo girls.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts