Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it's not quite the Andy Sneap Producer Presets, but I built this kit by looking at how he'd gone about building his. He uses the Chamber mic in TMF to get an awful lot of reverb. Unfortunately, I don't like the resulting sound he gets, but I like the approach.

I also layered up several snares in this. From memory, I used the pearl Reference from TMF, the Black Beauty from Avatar and the one with wooden hoops from the original Superior; S1.0, if you will.

Unfortunately, my snare sound changed very dramatically once I used the Izotope Ozone mastering plug-in. But it was still worth it, because that plug-in brought a huge amount of power to the mix.

The music itself is just something I tried fannying around with. Massively inspired by listening to Soreption, and written and recorded no more than 4 bars at a time haha. It's very roughly executed for this type of music. I may redo it if I can make it sound a little less derivative.

Def Jam Metal

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
thats a very Sneap sound you got there with those drums
i like! altho the snare is maybe a tiny bit too intense for my liking, i still rate this highly

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Really love the kick man, was definitely the highlight for me. Was that stacked as well at all? It's definitely one of the Sonor's I know that much, but sounds as though something else is popped in there?

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats a very Sneap sound you got there with those drums
i like! altho the snare is maybe a tiny bit too intense for my liking, i still rate this highly
Thanks man. The presets certainly helped me with some inspiration to delve a little into the inner workings of S2.0. I watched the video of Andy Sneap creating them, and Mattias Eklundh showing him how to do certain things. Then I just went ahead and tried them myself.

I know what you mean about the intense snare. It had a more discrete, tighter sound before Ozone. I've been watching tutorials on YouTube on how to do things with that plug-in. I'm getting a better mix of it done now. Hopefully the snare will tame down a little.

Really love the kick man, was definitely the highlight for me. Was that stacked as well at all? It's definitely one of the Sonor's I know that much, but sounds as though something else is popped in there?
The kick is actually just the Ludwig Sparkle, the 3rd of the four in the list with lots of EQ. I have no less than five EQs on it, and two Filters. The entire kit is mixed in S2.0, and it's not even multiout. That was the other inspiration from the video and presets; to try to do it all inside S2.0 with its included plug-ins. The nice thing is, I can just save that kit as a preset and load it up in any DAW and it sounds the same.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I like it - I'm just starting to get into this myself very challenging for a noob. Did you see there is now a Sneap pack for S2.0?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I take it you're not much of a reader, then :p

Yes, man. I bought them and looked at them before building the kit I used in this track.
:lol: haha duh. I thought you were saying you had watched things he and Mattias had done on YouTube - I totally missed that. God damn educational system :rant:.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right, I finally got around to sticking a test of sorts together, using the actual presets from this collection. These are right out the box with no alterations to them. I stuck my own kit sound on the end, just to compare them to a n00b's settings.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12437848/AndySneapSamples.mp3

The order of presets used is as follows:
  1. Alaska
  2. Atrocity
  3. Deutsche Ballad
  4. Legacy
  5. Teutonic
  6. my kit

On some of these presets, it's clearly not a fair test. The drums aren't meant to be played in this way for them. But it does seem that some of the presets we get have far more room and ambient mic than the actual Toontrack audio samples showcased. And it also shows how not ready right-out-the-box these are, so to speak. A couple of them sound ok, but most would need significant changes to work. At least that's the case with that little bit I recorded there.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
:yesway:

·
18,790 Posts
Right, I finally got around to sticking a test of sorts together, using the actual presets from this collection. These are right out the box with no alterations to them. I stuck my own kit sound on the end, just to compare them to a n00b's settings.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12437848/AndySneapSamples.mp3

The order of presets used is as follows:
  1. Alaska
  2. Atrocity
  3. Deutsche Ballad
  4. Legacy
  5. Teutonic
  6. my kit

On some of these presets, it's clearly not a fair test. The drums aren't meant to be played in this way for them. But it does seem that some of the presets we get have far more room and ambient mic than the actual Toontrack audio samples showcased. And it also shows how not ready right-out-the-box these are, so to speak. A couple of them sound ok, but most would need significant changes to work. At least that's the case with that little bit I recorded there.
1, 2, and 5 sound decent enough in this context, 3 would be really cool on an actual ballad, and I like the sound of your kit too, though it's a little dryer and could use some more low-end thump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts