Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Progression Free - Guitar TAB Editor for iPad

Damn, this is a really cool app. I've got it on my Mac, but this actually seems to make a lot more sense for doing tab entry; the touch interface really lends itself well to this sort of thing. The samples are decent (enough to get the point across), and the files (.notion) will presumably open in the their desktop version, so you can export to PDF, MIDI, etc. Very cool. And it's free!

EDIT Damnit, on meant Progression on iPad!

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
Progression Free - Guitar TAB Editor for iPad

Damn, this is a really cool app. I've got it on my Mac, but this actually seems to make a lot more sense for doing tab entry; the touch interface really lends itself well to this sort of thing. The samples are decent (enough to get the point across), and the files (.notion) will presumably open in the their desktop version, so you can export to PDF, MIDI, etc. Very cool. And it's free!

EDIT Damnit, on meant Progression on iPad!
Oh yes, finally! I have so been waiting for an app like this.

From the thread title I was expecting something like that picture with the evolution of petrucci though :)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does import into the desktop version of Progression, which is awesome because that in turn exports to MIDI. What would be nice is if you could just export directly from the iPad version, but I suppose they have to make their money somehow.

Honestly, this is a far superior way of doing tab than a computer. So much more intuitive and natural.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I look forward to banging out ideas while in the car, etc. I played with it for a few minutes last night it's bad ass.
It's nice, because I can go to the guitar lesson, record the track into the iPad on GarageBand with backing tracks, e-mail that to the student immediately while we're both sitting there, then tap out the tab for it too, and e-mail that as a PDF, while we're sitting there. Then he's got all week to practice it, and review how it's supposed to sound with the backing track.

All without lugging a laptop.

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
Ok, tried it out and it seems really nice. It's missing some notable features such as an electric guitar, but is probably coming in the paid version.

More importantly: is there any way to export or convert into guitar pro files? I don't have a mac (so no desktop version), and besides noone I know has progression so sharing files is a bit difficult...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts