Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share my plans for my studio/office. This room is sound-proofed and ready for caulking and painting so it shouldn't take too long to finish the room itself.
It might be a hard room to mix in though due to it being almost square.
I've gotten hold of plates for the desks aswell(2,5x0,8m and 28mm thick), so I'll be building those myself.
I would like to ask for some advice regarding how I should furnish and treat the room though as I'm a bit unsure about where to put my speakers and all the squiggly foam;).
Now on to my ugly sketch-up drawings.

I thought about having the monitors on the same wall as the door, but after a bit of thought I came up with this.

It'll give me more shelf and desk space, so I'm leaning towards this one.

Ideas and advice will be accepted with gratitude!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
If you're building the desks, do yourself a favor and add on a routed channel strip behind the whole thing for cables. My work desk has it, and it's the handiest thing ever.

I'm going to be doing the same thing soonish - what are you planning to use for the desktop?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
some laminated pine plates I got really from work.
do you have a pic of said channel strip? I'd like to see how it's done.
Not offhand, but it's basically this, sideways, in a small strip on the back of the desktop.

Just a small extension off of the top of the desk itself with a channel in the middle so that your cables from things on top don't have to squeeze between the wall and the desk. It lets you put your desk flush against the wall without pinching anything.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah yeah. already thought of it actually just didn't realise what you ment. I'll route a few of those, hoping I can manage to keep signal cables and power cables separate.

Not shown in my 3d model there is the slanted ceiling that I'll put in to make the room a little less symmetrical.

Edit: I have installed about 10k sq.m. of Donn's suspended ceiling in various formats at work, so that's what I plan to use. It's really easy to make rafts of those that can be moved around wherever you need them.
I need to go freshen up a bit on acoustic treatment.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on the progress, had to remove some of the gypsum because I realized I had nothing behind there to mount my monitors to. And the power outlet on the left had to be moved further into the wall.

Also a little update on my vision of the finished product to raise the waf a bit, now with rokits, keyboard and mouse....

Note that I haven't included any room treatment except for the cloud above the work space,
I want to get a measurement using Room EQ Wizard on the finished room before I decide what to do.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thx, there will of course be a small pic story and maybe some recordings done of the before/after treatment results.
I had an idea of doing a time lapse video of the building, but I don't want to expose my camera to all that dust.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it certainly helps when applying the shite, painting, caulking and taping is the epitome of boredom....

but I find Govan, Maiden, Gary Willis and Jaco Pastorius is also helping :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts