Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a set of Cold Sweats in my Blackmachine B2 for about a year and a half now, and they have done me very well indeed. Recently, I've been playing around a lot with my other BKP-equipped guitars, and I started falling in love with the slightly lower output alnico pickups Tim makes. I decided to try swapping out the pickups in the B2 to see what happens.
So, after some careful consideration I ordered a Rebel Yell for the bridge, and a VHII for the neck (the latter is probably my favourite neck pickup ever!).

Onto why BKP rocks: I ordered the pickups on Tuesday, and they got here this morning :eek: Bearing in mind the pickups are handwound to order, that is absolutely ridiculous service, nothing less that what I've come to expect from Tim and the team.
Anyway, I'll be fitting them over the next couple of days, then I'll do some comparison clips of the new pickups vs. the old!

Here's a few pics I quickly snapped:

Can't wait to try these beasts out!

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Those, and the burnt chrome, covers are sexy as HELL.

I'm trying to imagine what they'd look like in my PRS SE, and it's not pretty, and I feel bad about that. :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I eagerly await the clips.

I love the burnt chrome covers to.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I have a painkiller in my main guitar right now, and I really like it, though I'm still getting used to passives after using EMGs for 20 years. I have a VHII at home, and a Rebel Yell and a Cold Sweat on order, and they should be here soon. I plan on making clips of all of the pickups once they're in.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Not until the thing gets a bit more beat up. Covered pickups of some sort though, for sure.

That said, it's actually a low priority - the stock pickups sound surprisingly awesome.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Man, I just do NOT dig those fucked up looking pickups. :noway:

But then you went and posted those brushed nickle covers... homina. :holy:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Drew, it might be worth checking out an Aldrich. Really nice pickup in mahogany; it is relatively hot but feels and responds like a lower-output pickup. Seems to sound best with EL34/EL84-ish tones too.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I :wub: the Aldrich bridge. The neck is fine, but nothing special, IMO.
:agreed: I have an Alnico Pro II in the neck of the guitar with the Aldrich in the bridge.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Brushed Nickel :yum: And i'm sure the pups you ordered (Nolly), will look and sound amazing in the B2. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Damn, I probably WILL have to eventually try a set in my Singlecut. :lol:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
That is great customer service. BKP were great when I ordered my alnico Nailbomb/Cold Sweat combo a couple of years back. I actually spent quite a while on the phone with Tim describing the sound I wanted and the construction of my guitar. Sure as hell his recommendaition nailed the sound I wanted.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Does he do brushed chrome as well? Brushed nickel does tarnish.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts