Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone else does this, but..

When I setup to record, I have the song, and the tempo, so the first thing I do is lay down a basic 4/4 pattern behind it for the duration of the song. It helps me keep tempo, and decide if I need to play it faster/slower to get the feel I'm looking for. It also makes it easy to cut/paste sections and shift stuff around, since 4/4 is 4/4, and measures are easy to spot and shuffle around.

That said, if youre 4/4 beat is a 110 tempo kick/snare/kick/snare with hats hits on every beat, it'll be very handy. For about an hour. Then you'll start hating it.

At the 3 hour point, as you sit tweaking riffs and tones, writing changes and bridges and shredly solos, the 4/4 will become embedded in your very soul. You'll walk in tempo. If your ass is itchy, you will scratch it in 4/4. Things in the room will start to stare at you.

At the 5 hour point, you will have slipped into an alternate reality known as I Hate My Own Fucking Song. You may have written the greatest set of melodies in the world, but you will be unable to disassociate those melodies from the ever present 4/4 kick/snare of holy-fuck-i-want-to-kill-myself doom.

Do yourself a favor. Stop somewhere after the 1 hour mark, and work on the drums for the sections you have done. Today, I did not, and I paid the price.

:lalala:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not write everything out in guitar pro first then go to record?
:lol: Because I'm arranging the song dude. Have you ever actually recorded a track before? You don't just plop down and bang the whole thing out in one sitting. You have to write and arrange it first, and see what works and what doesn't.

Why the hell would I use guitar pro? :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
Can't say I've ever done that. I tend to write the drums as soon as I have the idea for the riff, and I usually just play to Nuendo's clicktrack while recording the scratch guitars. :shrug:

I still have hope that the gratuitous shredding and viking imagery will come out ahead! You can do it!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I'm writing, I do drums last. The guitar part is the most important (to me, since I'm a guitarist :lol:) and I'd rather write the drums around guitar playing than write guitar around drum programming, ya know?

Basically I just use a standard beat as a click, same as you do, but instead of beep-boop metronome, I have kick/snare. :)

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
That's one thing I love about my 2nd instrument being drums, I can write scratch drums tracks like the following, and not get bored of hearing it. (I'm only about 1/3 the way through)

http://soundcloud.com/blankplank/rooted-drums

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
Basically I just use a standard beat as a click, same as you do, but instead of beep-boop metronome, I have kick/snare. :)
Yeah, sometimes I do too because I helps me 'groove' a little more. And I didn't mean to imply that I write drums first or anything. I'm definitely a guitar player first. I just mean that once I've written that awesome riff, I like to hear how badass it'll sound with some appropriate drums behind it. Then I move on to the next section of the song, so by the end of the song I only need to go back and tweak the drums, rather than having nothing but straight 4/4 kick-snare stuff that drives you insane.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, sometimes I do too because I helps me 'groove' a little more. And I didn't mean to imply that I write drums first or anything. I'm definitely a guitar player first. I just mean that once I've written that awesome riff, I like to hear how badass it'll sound with some appropriate drums behind it. Then I move on to the next section of the song, so by the end of the song I only need to go back and tweak the drums, rather than having nothing but straight 4/4 kick-snare stuff that drives you insane.
Yup. Usually it doesn't bother me, because I write a lot of uptempo double-bass stuff, and I never get sick of the way that sounds. The song I'm working on now is at 105bpm though, and I threw a really simple 4/4 down under it. It's better than playing to a click (imo), but after several hours of it, the fucking beat is ingrained in my psyche right now. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's one thing I love about my 2nd instrument being drums, I can write scratch drums tracks like the following, and not get bored of hearing it. (I'm only about 1/3 the way through)

http://soundcloud.com/blankplank/rooted-drums
:agreed: Guitarists who are proficient drummers have it made when it comes to this shit. Drums take me FOR FUCKING EVER because not only am I not a drummer, but no matter how good I am with the software, I just think like a guitarist, so I write shitty drum lines.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I work in bursts. half hour here and there. i strike while the iron is hot. usually the first 5 minutes of playing each day inspires a few riffs and ideas that will carry me for a little while, but i gotta quit after a bit or else ear fatigue sets in and i too hate my own shit that i loved a little bit before that.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
:agreed: Guitarists who are proficient drummers have it made when it comes to this shit. Drums take me FOR FUCKING EVER because not only am I not a drummer, but no matter how good I am with the software, I just think like a guitarist, so I write shitty drum lines.
Well if you need dude, give me a PM, and I can track some basic, but 'non-boring' drums down for you for you to work with while recording if you wish :)

·
18,790 Posts
I always record scratch guitars to a click, do all my arranging (oh, how I love Pro Tools' Shuffle mode), then program drums to the scratch guitars, so that I can record my final guitars to the drums, making them tighter, rather than trying to shift the drums around my playing.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
:lol: Because I'm arranging the song dude. Have you ever actually recorded a track before? You don't just plop down and bang the whole thing out in one sitting. You have to write and arrange it first, and see what works and what doesn't.

I use guitar pro all the time to arrange my tunes, and I actually keep going back to write and arrange the song. And that way, I can send the song to my writing partner, so he can make his own tweaks. Honestly, from a composition stand point, it's a great way to keep things organized when you start getting into harmonies, counterpoint, and stuff like that. It's an easy way to visualize what you have written, so that you can see what you're doing when you start to apply more theory when you're nearing the finishing stages of writing. Hell, I've also been known to come up with ideas while in class or work, and I actually sit down and notate it, and begin to think about how it will affect the harmonic structure for the rest of the tune. But, if you're just doing boring 4/4, with a rhythm guitar and a lead guitar, I can see why you would have no need to sit down to compose something :D

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
It comes with practice. I find myself paying much more attention to the drums in music now that I'm programming them myself rather often. When I first started I barely knew where to put the snare, let alone when/how to program a decent fill. :lol: I like to think I've improved quite a bit since then.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts

Yes :lol:

I usually go:

1. Jam with band until we're all happy with the song
2. Write it out in guitar pro and arrange everything.
3. Record.

Guitar Pro's awesome for arranging, I don't see what's wrong with it for arranging things. Its very little effort.

Maybe I'm missing something because I'm a child :shrug:

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
Yes :lol:

I usually go:

1. Jam with band until we're all happy with the song
2. Write it out in guitar pro and arrange everything.
3. Record.

Guitar Pro's awesome for arranging, I don't see what's wrong with it for arranging things. Its very little effort.

Maybe I'm missing something because I'm a child :shrug:
A small program that's a cheap and quick way to organize things and save money and time :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well if you need dude, give me a PM, and I can track some basic, but 'non-boring' drums down for you for you to work with while recording if you wish :)
Thanks man. :wub: I get there eventually though, it just takes me a long time. I'll never get any better at it if I don't keep at it. :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Chris try putting an ad out on craigslist for a drummer, teach the drummer how to use gp6 to program drum parts (its easy enough for drummers to learn) and never worry about it again :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chris try putting an ad out on craigslist for a drummer, teach the drummer how to use gp6 to program drum parts (its easy enough for drummers to learn) and never worry about it again :lol:
I'm not looking for help dude, stop offering me stupid ass suggestions. :lol:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts