Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ignore the article title and whether it carries an ounce of credibility or not:

https://reverb.com/news/5-modern-tube-amps-to-achieve-djent-tones

I have heard great things about the Archon, but everything I have read has stated it's like a mix or cross between a Rectifier and a Marshall, not a 5150. Does this statement about being a hybrid of a Rectifier and 5150 carry any truth to it, or is it just a load of crap?

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
It's a high gain head, so odds it borrowed from the OG high gain heads are pretty high.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
That whole family of high gain heads are all a blend of each other in some capacity anyway really.

Having said that, I thought it was a muddy ball of wool personally, and wouldn't attribute it to either of those amps

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I've got the 50w. I wouldn't call it wooly or muddy, but it has to pair with the right cab.

You've got a fortin grind and that'll pair really nicely with it.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
To me it feels like a Marshall preamp going into a Rectifier power amp. But YMMV. I think it's a great amp.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Ignore the article title and whether it carries an ounce of credibility or not:

https://reverb.com/news/5-modern-tube-amps-to-achieve-djent-tones

I have heard great things about the Archon, but everything I have read has stated it's like a mix or cross between a Rectifier and a Marshall, not a 5150. Does this statement about being a hybrid of a Rectifier and 5150 carry any truth to it, or is it just a load of crap?
My impression was always that it was a blend of a modern Marshall and a Recto... but, like, the worst aspects of a Marshall, with the worst aspects of a Recto. Like, the Marshall low and low-mids, and the Recto treble. I haven't been impressed by any of the recordings I've heard.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I agree, it definitely has the Marshall preamp vibe more than the Mesa. That said, it's kind of an interesting blend, and I was quite impressed with the 100w version I played.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
That whole family of high gain heads are all a blend of each other in some capacity anyway really.
:hesright:

I used to have a 6505+, but sold it after I acquired a Mesa Roadking because I could dial in the RK to sound just like the 6505+.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts