Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So these are cool. Weird that they only did the spalted and zebra, but they're cool.

Disclaimer, these are ours at the shop, so spammy spam I guess. But I thought you guys would like the pics.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I get that these had to be a laminate top, but that cutaway just looks fucking weird.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
dig the zebrawood, but find the spalt lacking a bit for what I would expect from PRS.

I need my spalt to be spalty as fuck and that's just too damn subtle.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SEs do a veneer over plain maple. Gives you the look of a figure while retaining the maple cap tone.
Yeah, it just looks a little different with the zebra wood.

This one's my new favorite; CE24 one off:

I'm trying to get the owner to let me buy it, if it's still around by tax return time.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Are these archtops? One big bummer about the SE Navarro I had vs. the Actual Navarro was the totally flat top on the SE model. You don't miss it until it's not there.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yeah, it just looks a little different with the zebra wood.

This one's my new favorite; CE24 one off:

I'm trying to get the owner to let me buy it, if it's still around by tax return time.
That's fucking awesome, how much is it?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Are these archtops? One big bummer about the SE Navarro I had vs. the Actual Navarro was the totally flat top on the SE model. You don't miss it until it's not there.
Afaik, the SE line were originally all flat tops, then they integrated a mock-carved top that was basically a soft edged bevel and as far as I can tell, when they switched to the new headstock logo (script w/ se on the end), they made the mock-carved a little more convincing but it's still not a full on core series carve. I think.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Yeah the SE's all now have radiused tops like the Singlecut SEs have, but they aren't exactly arch-topped. Like Randy said, it's more like a bevel of sorts, but more subtle.

And the SE's since 2017 come with the signature PRS logo now.

And the 2017 PRSes all have much better pickups. I have a '15 and a '17 Tremonti SE Custom, and the '17s pickups smoke the '15's pickups. Supposed to be similar to the Tremonti Bass/Treble set, just made in Korea.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Afaik, the SE line were originally all flat tops, then they integrated a mock-carved top that was basically a soft edged bevel and as far as I can tell, when they switched to the new headstock logo (script w/ se on the end), they made the mock-carved a little more convincing but it's still not a full on core series carve. I think.
Aah, right on. As long as there's some kind of bevel on the SE stuff, that's a huge improvement over both models that I had (the Navarro and the Mushok). Both were pretty damn cool guitars but really not very comfortable for long play sessions.

I'd really be interested in checking out a current gen 245. The one Josh brought to my house a few years back was a really fantastic guitar. (I think maybe Leon owns it now?)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's fucking awesome, how much is it?
$1999, still the same as the regular CE24's.

Yeah, that's correct. It's not flat, not carved either. There are contours, mainly from the bevels, but it's not like a CU24 USA. Kinda hard to describe.

Aah, right on. As long as there's some kind of bevel on the SE stuff, that's a huge improvement over both models that I had (the Navarro and the Mushok). Both were pretty damn cool guitars but really not very comfortable for long play sessions.

I'd really be interested in checking out a current gen 245. The one Josh brought to my house a few years back was a really fantastic guitar. (I think maybe Leon owns it now?)
Yeah, it's definitely not like the Mushok was; I had two of those, and they were dead flat. These are way better. Honestly, I think that while they're not as fancy as the USA stuff, they still look really nice. I'm biased I guess though. :D

As for the 245, I'd also check out the Zach Myers and Chris Robertson. They've both got adjustable bridges, and sound great. The Myers is still my all-time favorite SE.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If that was closer to $1500 I'd be calling your shop with a credit card. :lol: What an awesome looking fiddle.
One of the more affordable American models, but yeah still 2K.

I'm glad you're not calling, because I'm hoping it's still there in March. :lol: I want it bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts