Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I became interested in a PRS SE Custom a guy has listed on CL here.

It's a semi-hollow with '57 Classics at the neck and bridge and the guy who owned it before him routed and installed a soapbar between them. There appears to be an extra toggle -

The current owner is out until Sunday at which time I'll to look at it.

I'm linking here: PRS SE Custom

First - why would someone install a soapbar between two humbuckers like that? I don't know - I'm asking. Is there any advantage? From the photos, it looks pretty sanitary. Not sure what the extra toggle is for, but logically, it has something to do with that installation.

Second, is this just a huge risk? Obviously any purchase of a used guitar is a risk, but am I sticking my Johnson in a bear trap here?

Thanks guys.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I would pass. That's a never-gonna-resell waiting to happen. Not to mention if the routing isnt professionally done, it might as well be sold for $150 (or whatever the parts are worth).

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Well, first and foremost, that price isn't going to work. It may have $600 in upgrades, but that doesn't actually change the resale value all that much. What's the going rate of these, $400 or so?

I would be leery of the pickup routing too, and even if you were otherwise all about this guitar, I'd want to see better close-up pictures to get a better sense of how well the work was done.

A P90 in the middle isn't MUCH different from HSH, and in fact Leon would probably prefer that. That said - do you NEED this guitar? Or is it just an interesting guitar? It's kind of easy to lose trach of that, whether or not a guitar actually fills a gap in your arsenal and offers something that you're looking for, or if it's "hey, there's a guitar, I should buy that!"

Reactions: Assault Bacon

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, first and foremost, that price isn't going to work. It may have $600 in upgrades, but that doesn't actually change the resale value all that much. What's the going rate of these, $400 or so?

I would be leery of the pickup routing too, and even if you were otherwise all about this guitar, I'd want to see better close-up pictures to get a better sense of how well the work was done.

A P90 in the middle isn't MUCH different from HSH, and in fact Leon would probably prefer that. That said - do you NEED this guitar? Or is it just an interesting guitar? It's kind of easy to lose trach of that, whether or not a guitar actually fills a gap in your arsenal and offers something that you're looking for, or if it's "hey, there's a guitar, I should buy that!"
Thanks, Justin -

Drew - What interested me about this guitar was that it's semi-hollow, hardtail with PAF's. The soapbar, itself, didn't interest me, nor does it fill a need. The going rate for one of these in this area is about 500.00, used, bone stock, if it's in immaculate condition.

I've actually been eyeing this thing for a while now - meaning he hasn't been able to sell it, of course. But I think, after learning that the center pickup wasn't installed professionally (or stock), I'm going to pass.

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Yeah, there is no way I touch that for anything more than $300 unless it was professionally routed/installed. Even then $600 is hitting the crack pipe pretty hard. Mods don't increase the value of a guitar, especially when they involve carving up the top to install a pickup in it and drilling a hole for another toggle switch. What does that switch do?

Most of the SE models go for $600-700 new. Used they run low to mid $400s. He is nuts asking for that much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts