Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
That's kinda every-metal-song, and I probably won't buy the album, but I'll 100% keep it on my radar in case he tours this next year!

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
He needs Chris Holmes...

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
So great to see Sarah Jessica Parker making a name for herself :yesway: :lol: This rips :metal:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Pipes are there but the guitar is doing a lotta work here. :metal:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Grab your pitchforks.

Honestly I found it a bit meh. Its nothing i haven't heard tons of times from a bunch of different bands. Its not terrible or anything like that (its actually well produced) but its not something I would go out of my way to listen to.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:lol: Dee is 65 years old man, it's great to see a legend like him putting out stuff that's still relevant.

I grew up blasting that voice on everything from my BMX bike to my first car. :metal:

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Jamey Jasta was the one who got the ball rolling on this, got the writers together and urged Dee on to doing it. Listening to Jasta’s podcast over the last couple years, any time Dee is on it’s a total love fest between the two and it’s fun to hear. Jasta brings it up every time he talks about Dee, but he was blown away by Dee walking in and busting out single takes from start to finish effortlessly.

He said recently he’s got another project like this cooking up, meaning, another singer teaming up with some newer guys to put out a more modern sounding album. Anxious to see who/what it is.

His podcast is one of my favorites and I can’t even tell you the name of a single Hatebreed song outside of “Destroy Everything”. He’s a great interviewer and they’re often hilarious. Last year there was like a 2 month period where Yngwie was brought up in every episode, to the point Jasta said “Ok, we gotta stop with the Yngwie, we’ve spent way too much time talking about Yngwie lately.”

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
That's kinda every-metal-song, and I probably won't buy the album, but I'll 100% keep it on my radar in case he tours this next year!
Sometimes being predictable is good. Nothing wrong with, basically, modern Testament with Dee singing. Plus, many gratuitous Charvel/Jackson product shots.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
This is not my favorite Dee Snider stuff. It seems generic, bland, and well below his capabilities as a vocalist.

Snider seems like a decent guy and the one time I met him on his book tour, he was friendly and gracious. So I don't want to sound like I'm bashing him. But I wouldn't buy this album or give it more than a cursory listen.

He's a talented singer and should find a group of guys and a style that lets him shine.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Eh, this s nothing groundbreaking, but he's done his time and shouldn't feel like he HAS to break more ground, at what, 65? What this is, is solid, well produced, well played, and well-sung metal. Dude has aged really well, and this is just solid, fun music. \m/

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
I guess I was expecting the Frontiers power-metal-by-numbers when you guys were talking about, but I dug it a lot. Dee Snider atop of some thrashy stuff is a winner for me. :thrash:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
His Widowmaker stuff was cool too. Lyrics are a little cheese, but that's 99.9% of metal anyway so who cares?

This was 29 years ago and he sounds just like the video in the OP. Snider belongs in the R&R hall of fame.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
His Widowmaker stuff was cool too. Lyrics are a little cheese, but that's 99.9% of metal anyway so who cares?

This was 29 years ago and he sounds just like the video in the OP. Snider belongs in the R&R hall of fame.
Crooks and I saw this tour. Great show.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Musically, this is breaking no ground, but I still crank the hell out of it about once a month. I always felt Dee didn't get enough credit as a singer; aggressive, tons of power, and a bigger range that people realize. I was really happy to see an album of him wailing over more modern tunes. :metal:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts