Metal Guitarist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 162 Posts

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Just the fact that somebody would steal 16 ONE OF A KIND guitars is weird.

If I would be a thief I would go for some run-of-the-mill guitars that nobody can identify.
*If* this is real you would have to guess they just grabbed heavy cases (that obviously had something in them) and ran. I don't know much about theft but I can't imagine thieves just picking and choosing. Get in, grab something, get out with it.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Just the fact that somebody would steal 16 ONE OF A KIND guitars is weird.

If I would be a thief I would go for some run-of-the-mill guitars that nobody can identify.
If you saw the pics on Facebook you'd know they're really not "one of a kind," they look like every other Carvin/Kiesel. One of a kind in Carvin/Kiesel terms just means you can't return them.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
*If* this is real you would have to guess they just grabbed heavy cases (that obviously had something in them) and ran. I don't know much about theft but I can't imagine thieves just picking and choosing. Get in, grab something, get out with it.
If it was anything like the robbery of this clock store in Stockholm, I think they could have picked and choose wisely :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
the importance surrounding his name, and the fact a huge guitar company took him on as chief designer/luthier/whatever-the-fuck... I thought he'd be some seasoned wise old luthier in his 50's or something, not some Hot Topic post-grad douche :lol:
His family owns the company. They didn't "take him on"… he got to pick what he wanted to do.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
My guess is they broke into the factory showroom and cleared out the guitars on display, because they were all "in stock" guitars and not customer builds.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
The FBI would investigate interstate transportation of stolen goods. Also, given San Diego's proximity to the Mexican border, that might cause the FBI to become involved as well.

But even if the theft is real, the reaction is pure bullshit. "Now would be a great time to order your brand-new Kiesel!" Really? Come on. Just how stupid does he think people really are?
Yeah, tthis. The more I think about it... It would have been kind of a strange video anyway (epic sunglass tan, and is that a pot plant he's in front of?) but, right up to the point where he goes there, there's nothing wrong with wanting to share descriptions and serial numbers of the guitars to help find them (at least, and very big if here, at least if he'd cleared this with the police and FBI in advance). But, as soon as he suggests, "hey, you can support us by buying more of our guitars!" this becomes a sleazy marketing piece more than a way to help the investigation.

Fuck that.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
My guess is they broke into the factory showroom and cleared out the guitars on display, because they were all "in stock" guitars and not customer builds.
Makes sense, I wasn't thinking they even had a factory showroom. I did just check that Facebook page, and they do say that while they are insured their deductible is higher than their loss, so there is nothing there on that score.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
no idea what kind of policy Kiesel/Carvin have, but commercial policies often have much, much higher deductibles than consumer policies. They have a lot more potential costs to cover/replace vs your average home policy.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
That's true, but $40k is still a huge deductible if you're talking about coverage for equipment/tools/stock and not building coverage or something like professional liability. Granted, I haven't worked on any large manufacturing risks but that still seems quite high.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
What the fuck kind of policy has a $40,000 deductible on business property? :eek:
no idea what kind of policy Kiesel/Carvin have, but commercial policies often have much, much higher deductibles than consumer policies. They have a lot more potential costs to cover/replace vs your average home policy.
Regardless of the policy deductible, I probably wouldn't make the claim on $40k. I'd have to be substantial and have significant impact to total capital (both cash and assets) to warrant the claim.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
Regardless of the policy deductible, I probably wouldn't make the claim on $40k. I'd have to be substantial and have significant impact to total capital (both cash and assets) to warrant the claim.
That's what I'm saying. I've seen small business' eat ~$100,00k+b/c it still wasn't worth the increase in premium and chance of losing their underwriter.

41 - 60 of 162 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.