Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else here find that a guitar in dropped C for example, will sound different to a guitar in C standard, when you play the same riff? I think I might just be weird, I seem to prefer the sound of A standard, but I write stuff for my band better in dropped A. Am I a fucking head-the-ball or am I not alone?

·
Registered
12 Posts
the same note on the same string tuned differently will sound different due to different tension, that and you'll have to play the riff differently, you might be more natural in standard tuning...

Makes sense I guess, though the actual impact of this is doooobious

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guess we'll just have to hang on until scientists discover the gene that gives some of our brains a preference to standard tunings then, ho hum

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I massively prefer A standard to drop A, especially when playing in the lowest register. I think it might have a lot to do with the way the strings are vibrating under your fingers. If you take the open A5 in drop A, you are playing all 3 of the bottom strings open. If you play the same chord in A standard..
----
----
----
----
-2--
-2--
-0--

... the D and G string are vibrating differently than the open E and A would be in drop A, because they are fretted notes. It's a bit warmer and more controlled sounding. An open A in drop A just sounds a bit bleh to me.

Personally I tend to make things sound a lot more aggressive in a standard tuning compared to it's 'dropped' counterpart. I tend to be more melodic and chordy in drop tunings :shrug:

·
Black Metal Bunny
1,144 Posts
Yes, there's a bit of a difference. I think it's partially a difference you can feel, too.

Since I play 6 strings I will use that as an example. In standard tuning, playing an A on the low E (5th fret) sounds and feels a certain way. If I go to drop D, that A is now on the 7th fret, and while it's the same note as far as frequency goes, it feels different in the subtle way that playing a 7th fret note feels different than playing a 5th fret note. In other words, it feels like playing an B on a standard tuned guitar, but with less tension in the string. It's subtle but I suspect people who have been playing for years can feel a slight difference. And because of the difference in tension, it will sound slightly different even though it's the same note.

It's like how if you play the 14th fret of the D string (E) it's the same note as the open high E, but it sounds a lot different.

·
Registered
702 Posts
well, there's the difference between open-vs-fretted notes, and then there's the length of the strings being played, and then there's the difference in tension on the lowest (the dropped) string. The last one is easy though: use a tension calculator to figure out which string you should use to balance the tensions.

edit: i actually get annoyed every once in a while when i hear guitars in drop tuning where the lowest string loses out to the second lowest, like in drop A the E overruns the A, because of the tension differences. Play an open power chord, and the fifth above the root is louder, and the bass has to step in and take care of the rest, because the guitar just won't do it. Surprisingly many don't notice this at all.

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
I break it down to:
Open strings
Tension on down tuned strings without adequate tension
Intervals of the strings

I personally prefer dropped tunings to standard due to when I just jam out on them even though I might be playing the same fingering patterns the intervals will be different in the different positions from if it's either in all 4ths of a 5th on the bottom, which allows me to feel more refreshing while writing.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I massively prefer A standard to drop A, especially when playing in the lowest register. I think it might have a lot to do with the way the strings are vibrating under your fingers. If you take the open A5 in drop A, you are playing all 3 of the bottom strings open. If you play the same chord in A standard..
----
----
----
----
-2--
-2--
-0--

... the D and G string are vibrating differently than the open E and A would be in drop A, because they are fretted notes. It's a bit warmer and more controlled sounding. An open A in drop A just sounds a bit bleh to me.

Personally I tend to make things sound a lot more aggressive in a standard tuning compared to it's 'dropped' counterpart. I tend to be more melodic and chordy in drop tunings :shrug:
Interesting.

Same observations as me, opposite results.

I play a lot more aggressively in drop, more melodically in standard format.

I favour drop tunings (mainly B) because I like legato powerchord stuffs.

·
Black Metal Bunny
1,144 Posts
It's easier to change power chords faster in drop D tuning, as well. You can just bar your finger across the bottom two strings and then throw another finger on or pull off to change. You don't need to actually slide your hand around, so it's faster, and changes in chords are instant.

It has sort of a barbaric, aggressive feel to it, if that makes sense.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

To me, drop tunings are all about the chords that are difficult or impossible in standard tuning. You can also play cool licks on the G with the open high D providing a drone. The slightly loose, slightly off intonation low D is what give power chords a raucous sound, much less sweet than

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Maybe I'm stupid, but drop C is basically D so it's kinda obviously different from standard C?
yeah rest of the strings are tuned to D while the bottom is CI see where you are coming from.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts