Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I might be scoring this awesome condish 1991 450S (mahogany, rosewood, 22 frets, chrome original edge, H-S-H V7/v8 pups) on the weekend just to have a project guitar because I love tweaking :lol:

Just curious what are some good recommendations for pups for this guitar in the Dimarzio world? I've been itching to try out some stuff from Dimarzio.

Thinking a Neck pup like Satch and a bridge pup like Petr00ch.

Ideas?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I run PAF/X2N in my 550 and I love it. :yesway:

Of course, the body is not mahogany, and the board is not rosewood, and it's 24 frets, but hey! :lol:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I say Mo Joe, FS-1, PAF Joe, but that's just me, and that's what I'd do.
I most likely thinking of leaving the stock single in there since I rarely use it however I think your recommendations sound good. Will do more research on them to see how'd theyd' sound in mahogany.

Also is the bridge Joe pup hot enough for say DT stuff? Or does it just max out at Satriani-esqe levels of gain.

Thanks.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Also is the bridge Joe pup hot enough for say DT stuff? Or does it just max out at Satriani-esqe levels of gain.

Thanks.
Oh dude, the Mo Joe is one of the most underrated Dimarzio pickups out there. A while back, most Dimarzio enthusiasts thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

The Mo Joe is one bad ass pickup. It will pretty much do anything. It is definitely hot enough for DT stuff.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
What about the Evo2 and a PAF Joe in the neck? Been reading that the Evo2 is more voiced to the Evo7 and I love Joe's lead tones and cleans.
Evo2 is pretty good, but I like the Mo Joe more. I have the Evo2 in the bridge of one of my RG's, and the Mo Joe in another, and the Mo Joe really stands out more.

The Evo2 to me seems a little too tuned out to missing some of the frequencies I really go for. It sound really, really good for some neat inverted chords, but misses the mark for power riffs and pedaling.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Evo2 is pretty good, but I like the Mo Joe more. I have the Evo2 in the bridge of one of my RG's, and the Mo Joe in another, and the Mo Joe really stands out more.

The Evo2 to me seems a little too tuned out to missing some of the frequencies I really go for. It sound really, really good for some neat inverted chords, but misses the mark for power riffs and pedaling.
Kinda leaning towards the MoJoe and Paf Joe in the neck. Just curious how versatile the bridge can sound (EVH/Lynch to say Joe Bonamassa) with the leads just liquid cream in the paf joe?

Also should I be going for higher gain pups or are these pups ok for going hard rock to metal?

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Kinda leaning towards the MoJoe and Paf Joe in the neck. Just curious how versatile the bridge can sound (EVH/Lynch to say Joe Bonamassa) with the leads just liquid cream in the paf joe?

Also should I be going for higher gain pups or are these pups ok for going hard rock to metal?
After you get these pickups, it's really all up to your amp after that.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I would say Tone Zone in mahogany. IMO it is really versatile and would be able to get a bunch of great tones :yesway:

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Have no experience with the 6'r CL but I found the 7 string to be kinda too crunchy but no bite/aggressiveness.

How would a Steve's Special sound?
Steve's Special is what John Petrucci used before he went EBMM with an Air Norton in the neck.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
In mahogany, I'd go with my Suhr/Duncan combo, but for Dimahzios, I'd go for a Humbucker from Hell in the neck and an Evo in the bridge.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked up the guitar today and wow the 450S is a small guitar coming from the Soloist7 :lol:

Now to give it a good setup with new strings, and hopefully new pups soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts