Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://files.dropbox.com/u/1324770/CHUGAWOOKA.mp3

Not a single live instrument is played on that. The guitar is a VST plug-in, one that does for guitars what Toontrack and others have done for drum samplers.

prominy-LPC

Shit official demo (actually, I watched more than two seconds. it's not shit):

Better user demo:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Put down my guitar? Why? Because I want to play my guitar on another instrument? Why play guitar on keyboard when I can play it on guitar? :scratch:

Sure, it sounds realistic, but it's still just an imitation.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Put down my guitar? Why? Because I want to play my guitar on another instrument? Why play guitar on keyboard when I can play it on guitar? :scratch:

The point is that it offers people who can't play guitar that sound.
Personally, I don't need it, but it's extremely useful for a lot of people

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I think you've taken my thread title too literally, man. I'm not seriously suggesting we actually all give up. It's not meant to convert existing guitarists over to the software, but to replace the need for a guitarist at all. In much the same way SSD and SD2.0 can replace the need for drummers.

What I'm waiting for is some sort of software that will be able to use all these plug-ins (Trillian, SD2.0, East West Orchestra, etc.) and write songs. It could listen to songs from any given genre, and create some sort of average from them, and output the result.

That said, I'm sure all these VSTs and stuff won't replace real musicians in the same ay IVF hasn't replaced sex.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I think you've taken my thread title too literally, man.
If you hadn't noticed, that's kind of what Naren does.

That said, I'm sure all these VSTs and stuff won't replace real musicians in the same ay IVF hasn't replaced sex.
For pretty much the same reasons: most of the fun is in the playing, not the end result :agreed:

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I'm assuming there's a "mod" key that turns notes into squeals when it's held down, but I'm too lazy right now to go back and have another look at it.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I'm assuming there's a "mod" key that turns notes into squeals when it's held down, but I'm too lazy right now to go back and have another look at it.
I thought so too, except I didn't see the keyboard player touching any modulator while playing.

I imagine you could use one of those modulator things for bending notes, but there really wasn't any bending in those videos.

I remember back in the 1980s when keyboard players claimed that keyboards would completely replace guitars... and the exact opposite happened. :lol: This, however, is a lot closer. But if you want the sound of a guitar, you go to a guitar, not the imitation. Same thing with strings. A real group of violinists is going to sound a lot better than a keyboard.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I'd like to see those keyboards pull as much tail as a guitar :cool:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I'd like to see those keyboards pull as much tail as a guitar :cool:
They do, it's just from gay Star Trek fans who sit around and talk about Jordan Rudess. :lol:

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
I think he had more than 3 pedals. It's awesome actually, especially for game and movie scores. I like the idea of sitting down (or standing up :) ) and record whole different genres and styles on one hardware/software environment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts