Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put on some heavier strings, but don't really want to bring my guitars in to get everything reset for heavier strings. Is there a way to re-adjust it on my own???

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
How much heavier are you going? What to and what from?
If it's a small change, it'll only need minor adjustments.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
What gauge strings you goin to, and from what gauge are you at now? What bridge?

·
Registered
37 Posts
You'll have to increase the tension on the Floyd a little when you switch to a heavier gauge set. The two wood screws that supply the tension go into the body under the back plate, they will need to be tightened until the bridge floats level again. The intonation may also change slightly.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
You'll have to increase the tension on the Floyd a little when you switch to a heavier gauge set. The two wood screws that supply the tension go into the body under the back plate, they will need to be tightened until the bridge floats level again. The intonation may also change slightly.
Lord is Correct. You will probably only need to go 1/2 - 1/4 turn on each screw to get it right. Also the intonation as mentioned, but it may not even be an issue

·
Registered
213 Posts
The difference in intonation may be negligible but it's tough to tell until you do it. My Tune-O-Matic ESP didn't change much when I dropped down in gauge pretty drastically.

Intonating a Floyd is a whore. Total pain in the ass.

·
Registered
21 Posts
(I know how to do this already, this is just a question about preference) When changing guage AND tuning of strings on an FR type bridge, do you change the tuning with the original set of strings first THEN replace them with a different guage, do it vice-versa, or simultaneously?

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
I don't own a single floating trem for this exact reason. never again. I swap on whatever I got (within reason) and i'm out the door.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't own a single floating trem for this exact reason. never again. I swap on whatever I got (within reason) and i'm out the door.
If the Jackson Sustainiac didn't have a Floyd, I would also own zero, with all the guitars that I have. I understand that a Sustainiac might be cool with a Floyd, but the hassle involved... so frustrating.

I had a prototype S-series Ibanez that they had designed for Satriani which apparently had a "beta" Floyd on it - the ultimate nightmare. It was never ever in tune. It had some tremolo stabilizer spring-loaded thing in the back and it was still a disaster. I think that haunts me still to this day.

Tune-O-Matic and roller bridges <3

String swaps are a piece of cake.

No love for Floyds.

Then again I'm not even close to a shredder...

(I know how to do this already, this is just a question about preference) When changing guage AND tuning of strings on an FR type bridge, do you change the tuning with the original set of strings first THEN replace them with a different guage, do it vice-versa, or simultaneously?
Changing the strings is step 1.

Step 2 would be to stretch the strings, IMO.

Step 3 - it may be a good to tighten the screws behind the trem plate inwards towards the body maybe a half-turn to save you some time/hassle in later steps...

Step 4, IMO, would be to adjust the fine tuners on the tremolo to "middle height" - not all the way in, not all the way out. That way it gives you a little leeway to fine tune each string up or down once the trem height is set without throwing everything off.

Step 5 would be to tune as closely as you can to the tuning that you would like to be in. Inevitably with thicker strings you won't be able to tune all the way up without an adjustment, as the tremolo will come forward (up) as you tighten the strings. When you see it start to move forward, stop trying to tune, and move to step 6.

Step 6 As people previously mentioned, adjust the screws behind the plate a *little* in attempt to balance the trem out to sit as it should. Tighten the trem screws a little at a time. Adjust, try to retune. Adjust, try to retune. The trem will battle you if the springs aren't set properly. What I mean is that rather than the strings tightening as you turn your tuning machines up, it will pull the trem forward instead.

You will notice that it will "battle you less", and start to "let you tune" as you progressively tighten the springs on the back. Beware of overtightening, however. Too much will cause the trem to lean back. You generally want the "blade" of the side of the trem to line up with the body, provided that you have a "recessed" tremolo. If it's not recessed under the tremolo, you will want the bottom of the side of the tremolo to be parallel with the body.
Better to be conservative in your adjustments than drastic.

Here is an example of the two types - recessed, and not.

So, in summary, change and stretch strings, try to tune up as best you can, note the position that the trem is leaning in. Tighten the springs a bit, try to retune, note how much it's leaning forward. Tighten the springs a bit more, retry. Eventually you'll find the sweet spot and it'll sit as it should.

I hope I didn't overexplain...

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Nick pretty much summed it up there.

when i do mine, i push the whammy bar back, then pop all the springs off by hand. now i can just loosen the strings at the bridge out of the saddles. then i cut them all off at the nut and wrap em up. then loosen the nut and pull remaining string from tuners.

when putting back on, i just take the floyd in my lap and install each string. Next i put floyd in its place and wind the top and bottom strings and start to tighten. the, once i have tension, i put a couple of springs back in place to counter. now i move into the next two strings, and my third spring and so on

I only ever use 3 springs, and a good amount of tension on them. why?
by having large amounts of space between the coils of each spring, allows it to flutter and move back and forth easier. just my two cents

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So i got the ibanez strung up no issues, but the charvel....oh the charvel just when i think i got it, it goes flat....ughhhh

·
Registered
191 Posts
Changing gauges will also require a small truss rod adjustment ..... If you're going with a heavier gauge this will pull on the neck more than the previous gauge .... So in this case, you may need to straighten the neck a bit after the new gauge is on and all tuned up .....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts