Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my current lump, a rush job that was put together for our tour last year. It works well but isn't particularly easy to get around as the pedals aren't in the best places.

I'm hoping to replace it with a stepped (rather than ramped) setup. This is mspaint's finest, so the spacings are more than a little off, but this is the idea, with the signal running from top right to bottom left.

The black box top right is a patch bay. Black box bottom left is a replacement footswitch, sat as close to my delay as possible as I tend to need to switch both simultaneously. Black lump in the middle is a volume pedal between the revolver and the delay.

My plan is to make the base from 9 or 12mm plywood (keeping weight down, so now MDF etc) which is what the original junkbox is made from. The top row of pedals will be on a raised step, suitably reinforced underneath, about 5cm higher (~2"). Cable routing will take place underneath the step, and I'll be installing an N-Audio Powerbox underneath the step too, just above the volume pedal so it's equidistant between all pedals.

Historically I've used 3M lock to stick the pedals down (essentially a heavy duty velcro). Unfortunately, bonding to ply is crap since the ply splinters if you try to remove the pedals. Originally I'd planned to install something solid on top of the plywood (like stainless steel cooker splashbacks) but cutting it to size and bonding it would be a pain.

Rather, I came up with the idea of using the good ol' chain link trick:

which should work for 90% of the pedals.

What should I top the plywood off with?

i) I'd thought of carpet tiles but I'd need at least two and I don't know how to handle the join and keep it looking clean.

ii) The other option would be putting a thin sheet of melamine-faced hardboard (like you'd find inside a cupboard or drawer) which I could then spray paint bright green (fr00t!) or similar.

Once all that's done I'll need to find some PVC edging to finish it off with. :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (like MAGIC!)

Nice! Clever layout and use of that volume pedal cutaway to keep the overall footprint to a minimum.

Some pedals, like my Ibanez TS-7 have threaded holes in their bases that allow you to screw them down to a pedalboard from beneath. All pedals should have that feature, in my opinion.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Very neat mate. What did you use to finish it in the end?

One thing I love about the G Minor I control my rig with (well, until the FCB1010 is acquired) is it has 3 screws holding the lid on, then with that removed there's two holes for you to screw it down to your pedal board with. All pedals should be like that.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seriously, good work, man. I'm not a fan of pedal boards because of what a cunt they are to transport and all the care that needs to be taken with them. But that's some pretty neat work.

I think the lack of input was due to you clearly having it all planned out pretty well in the OP. And that chain link idea is fantastic!
Tell me about it re: transport, the only thing I hate more than my pedalboard is carting my orange cab/flightcased 5150 around. :lol:

I have enough chainlinks for another 20 pedals if anyone needs them, too. :lol:

Re: the threaded baseplates, I had spotted that on the Ibanez LF7 but I wanted something visually consistent and finding bolts that long (it's 9mm ply with 6mm carpet tile on top) would have been a challenge from local hardware shops.

James: It's 9mm ply, topped off with carpet tiles and edged with PVCu edging, although I may replace it with metal edging if I have the budget/inclination/patience/angle grinder as the plastic is very flimsy. The carpet tiles are great as they, coupled with the edging, give the thing a very neat and polished appearance, especially important given my limited access to woodworking tools and incredibly tight budget. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts