Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on purchasing the Axe-FX very soon so that I can do some direct-in recording with the band.

Something I've noticed from watching youtube videos is that every video tagged under Axe-Fx only showcases the djent style. It sure sounds great, but I'm already convinced that the axfx has some badass sounds for chug/djent style riffs...

What I don't see much is people doing some heavy shredding with it, at least, doing it direct-in. I've seen a couple that are convincing, but I still want to get more reassurance. (Not to mention the fact that I've never experienced anything direct-in that has a good tone for shredding.)

So for all those on this forum who do some serious shredding (I really hate using the term "shredding" it just sounds so dumb!) with their axfx, are you able to create a convincing tone for a good shredding sound? You probably know what I mean - although a chug/djent tone sounds good, when someone tries to shred with that tone, it can sometimes end up sounding like a baby pooping on the guitar.

So should I feel assured that the axe will satisfy my heavy-gain tone for shredding??

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
You should check out Marco Sfogli. He plays on James LaBrie's solo stuff, and the latest album was all Axe-Fx. I'm pretty sure he's got some youtube vids using it.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There are some videos of Greg howe using one as well.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Sam Hill da shit. :agreed:

He's ripping that out with SD Blackouts, too, which I think shows off the tone-shaping power of the unit. He cops a lot of different tones, some saggy and open sounding, some very crisp. Bottom line: you can sound like whatever you want, just takes some tweaking time.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.351 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/245)

Sam Hill is good. I just think he uses too much gain on everything, including his 'real' amp.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.351 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/245)

Sam Hill is good. I just think he uses too much gain on everything, including his 'real' amp.
:agreed: He's just too '80s, though. Can't blame him. :lol:

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Just found out that Scale The Summit used the Axe FX to record some of their new album, and Chris Letchford now uses the Axe FX as his live rig as well.

·
18,790 Posts
Just found out that Scale The Summit used the Axe FX to record some of their new album, and Chris Letchford now uses the Axe FX as his live rig as well.
So that'll be two bands on the Periphery/Scale The Summit/Fair To Midland tour using them :lol: I actually really hope this doesn't lead to Fair To Midland using them, as I believe Cliff's main amp is a Naylor, and his tone is just beautiful as is.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts