Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking into getting a new recording interface. My mbox that I have isn't cutting it anymore. So, I was looking into the Presonus stuff by recommendation of the awesome Nolly. :metal:

He recommended me the Presonus Firepod because it has awesome class A preamps and an awesome a/d conversation rate. Now, I'm not that great with recording lingo and don't really know how to tell what is better. But I have also been looking at the Presonus Firestudio Mobile, which is a little cheaper and doesn't have as many inputs, as I really don't think I'll need as many as the Firepod has to offer.

My question is, will the Firestudio Mobile be up to par with the Firepod because it still has class a preamps? Is the a/d conversion rate the same? Nolly said that the a/d conversion rate is an important bit.

So, will I be safe with the Firestudio Mobile, or should I just go ahead and go for the Firepod to be safe (now the fp10, I believe).

Just to let you know, I'm running Windows 7 32-bit now. Any recommendations or info would be appreciated!

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Orsusmetal said:
So I've been looking into getting a new recording interface. My mbox that I have isn't cutting it anymore. So, I was looking into the Presonus stuff by recommendation of the awesome Nolly. :metal:

He recommended me the Presonus Firepod because it has awesome class A preamps and an awesome a/d conversation rate. Now, I'm not that great with recording lingo and don't really know how to tell what is better. But I have also been looking at the Presonus Firestudio Mobile, which is a little cheaper and doesn't have as many inputs, as I really don't think I'll need as many as the Firepod has to offer.

My question is, will the Firestudio Mobile be up to par with the Firepod because it still has class a preamps? Is the a/d conversion rate the same? Nolly said that the a/d conversion rate is an important bit.

So, will I be safe with the Firestudio Mobile, or should I just go ahead and go for the Firepod to be safe (now the fp10, I believe).

Just to let you know, I'm running Windows 7 32-bit now. Any recommendations or info would be appreciated!
I have the firestudio pro, basically te fp10 with more control over phantom and channeling stuff. Can't recommend it enough. Go for the fp10 over the smaller box, the 8ins seem overkill until you wanna track a whole band

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I have the firestudio pro, basically te fp10 with more control over phantom and channeling stuff. Can't recommend it enough. Go for the fp10 over the smaller box, the 8ins seem overkill until you wanna track a whole band
Are the extra inputs just really handy for the drum mic'ing? That's what I had always assumed the extra inputs would be great for, and I can understand how that would be extremely useful to have around. Unfortunately, I don't know any drummers and can't be super loud in my apartment with mic'ing and such. So if I'm just going to be doing my guitars and other instruments and using a drum program, would the other inputs still be that important? I'm really only planning on recording stuff myself and not other bands.

I appreciate the feedback though, Max! I'll definitely go with the fp10 if it is truly better. But if I can save a few hundred dollars on the Firestudio mobile unit just because it has less inputs, I'm fine with that. :lol: More money to put into what I'd like to use to record on the interface. But, if all the conversion rates on the firestudio mobile are not up to par with the fp10, I'll just dish out the extra cash for the fp10 and try to think of things to do with the extra inputs. :lol:

Does anyone here own the mobile one?

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am wanting an interface with more XLR inputs. The mbox only has one, and most of the things I want to hook up to it, like the Engl I have currently, has stereo XLR outs for recording with speaker simulation. So the little extra inputs would be cool, as well as some outputs as well for reamping. That was the first reason I was looking for a better interface. After speaking with Nolly as well, he recommended the Presonus stuff highly and said the ad conversion rate on the Firepod was much greater than the Mbox stuff.

Lastly, I recently upgraded to Windows 7 because my computer was crashing hardcore with XP. And when I tried re-installing everything, I couldn't find the disc with Protools that it came with that has all the drivers. So since I don't have protools installed and don't have the drivers, I went to the website to try to download them. I couldn't find drivers for this unit that are compatible with Windows 7. The drivers I downloaded gave me the bluescreen. :eek: So I can't even use my Mbox currently, as I was just planning on using it with Reaper if I could get the drivers. So, it is just a brick sitting on my desk right now. :lol:

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it has sucked. I recently sold the poweramp I was using for the Engl, expecting the Engl preamp to sell quickly as well. So now I don't have an amp to use, so I was planning on hooking up the mbox in the meantime and running an amp simulator like Amplitube to practice through my monitors. That went to shit. :lol:

If I was able to get the drivers for the Mbox, I don't think I would be in such a hurry to find something to upgrade to, as the Mbox is pretty awesome.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
As far as I know you need to have Protools 8 (not sure which version you're on) at least to get the drivers for windows 7 (which are still in beta and are buggy as hell, from what I've read on the DUC). I originally upgraded to windows 7, then decided I didn't want to pay $120 to upgrade to protools 8 (I'm only on 7.3) just so I could download some buggy drivers to use in Reaper :/

Ended up reinstalling XP and now I can use Protools when needed and use my Mbox with Reaper :yesway: Not much help I realise if you don't want to go back to XP, sorry :(

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I use the inputs for more than drums. If im recording vocals+acoustic, ill do 4 mics in a single take. An NT1A for vocals, 2xNT55s for close guitar (pointed above the end of the neck and at the bottom of the lower bout) and some unlabed sennheiser omni for atmosphere.

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the explanation on the mbox and windows7. That makes sense. Well, since I had no intentions on going back to XP, I went ahead and sold the mbox. I was having a lot of issues with XP in the end and have grown to like 7 a bit already.

Anyways, I appreciate everyones help on the subject. I think I am going to go with the Firestudio mobile. I understand what Max means by the use of multiple inputs for mic'ing, but I don't think I'll have a use for the extra inputs anytime soon as I never mic anything and don't have drums to use. On top of that, I have nobody that I'm playing with and it doesn't look it I will anytime soon. :lol: So, the 10? inputs on the mobile one looks like it should be good enough for now. I also found this comparison chart that shows the difference between the models. They aren't way too different.

http://www.presonus.com/media/pdf/interface_comparison.pdf

Thanks for all help everyone. I appreciate it.

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a good idea. Thanks man. I'm just now getting a bit more serious about recording stuff and equipment, so suggestions like that are always welcome, helpful and very appreciated.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Mobile. Are there any headphones you guys would recommend? I have some monitors, but I'm not sure how nice they are. They are Alesis usb monitors. So I was thinking some mixing headphones would be a nice way to compare my mixes. I was looking at these - Buy Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Professional Monitor Headphones | Studio Headphones | Musician's Friend

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

I have the mth 40s, and I dig em for what they are

1 - 15 of 15 Posts