Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Big
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been jonesing to pick up a Yamaha SBG-1300TS if I saw a suitable one on eBay or something, because I'm totally gay for Chris Poland, and he's been playing a custom SBG for some years. I say the 1300TS (as opposed to one of the nicer ones like the 2000 or 3000) because it's the only one I know of that comes stock with a trem (whammy ftw). The thing is, that trem looks like a mountain of ass: does anyone know if I could drop a Floyd Rose in without serious modification?

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Post some pics and the common measurements (trem post to trem post, locking nut size, depth, etc.) and we'll be able to help you out more.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The trems look pretty shitty, but actually work surprisingly well. Size wise, EVERYTHING is different from a Floyd, IIRC, so it would probably be some major work.

·
Big
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Post some pics and the common measurements (trem post to trem post, locking nut size, depth, etc.) and we'll be able to help you out more.
I don't have any of that info. Too many numbers to keep track of! I just want one of your gear wizards to know the answer, ha ha!

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I'm quite sure that the stud spacing is different on those old Yamaha trems, so you couldn't just drop in an OFR. Yamaha over-engineers everything, so if you find one in good shape, I'm sure that trem will work just fine. Most old trems die because they are made of shitty metal (like Kahler, for instance), but I wouldn't be surprised if Yamaha used better quality parts for their trems. The biggest problem would be finding replacement parts if necessary. I seem to recall that Yamaha's superstrats from that era used the same trem.

Also keep in mind that Chris Poland's SBG is basically a semi-hollow because it is so heavily chambered. You won't get that sound with a regular SBG, which sounds more like a slightly brighter Les Paul. It will be more like Carlos Santana's sound in the late '70s.

·
Big
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also keep in mind that Chris Poland's SBG is basically a semi-hollow because it is so heavily chambered. You won't get that sound with a regular SBG, which sounds more like a slightly brighter Les Paul. It will be more like Carlos Santana's sound in the late '70s.
Yeah, but even if he handed me his guitar, I wouldn't get his sound, either. Chris has magic in his fingers!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Yeah, but even if he handed me his guitar, I wouldn't get his sound, either. Chris has magic in his fingers!
I'm pretty sure Chris gets that tone on anything he picks up.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Yeah, that's always true with the great ones.

The chambering does make a big difference in terms of rolling off a lot of the 'honk', though. The story of that guitar is kind of interesting--I find it funny that the artist relations guys at Yamaha had Santana's unfinished guitar just sitting in the back room for decades. Personally, I think Chris has made far better use of it than Carlos would have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts