Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my plan to pick up an AFX Ultra as soon as I can afford it. I am considering the differences between using power amp sim, or just buying a nice tube power amp. The downside to the tube answer is that it costs a LOT more. Is it worth the extra 1k? (I don't buy crap, I would probably grab a Mesa 2:90 or if I don't need the volume, a 2020).

Also, how easy is it to get the AFX to work like a normal rig with a midi controller? As in, have buttons for your drive, chorus, delay, etc, that you can turn on and off.

In an ideal world, I would have a couple sims that I could switch through, and then each setting I would be able to turn on and off effects with the footswitch easily.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
I dont own an axe fx but i hope this helps. Id personally get a solid state power amp because a tubePA heats up fast and if you are playing a live show it can get ruined, there is also more maintenance in a tubePA. But if its just your house in a nice environment then it should be worth it.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Tubes. Always.

As far as the midi stuff is concerned, my GMajor was set up kinda like that, with my old Behringer FCB1010. The top row of buttons (5-9) would change patches, while the bottom row (0-4) would turn on/off different effects. No idea how to set that up, as I prefer just to make a new preset, but it can be done.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
I dont own an axe fx but i hope this helps. Id personally get a solid state power amp because a tubePA heats up fast and if you are playing a live show it can get ruined, there is also more maintenance in a tubePA. But if its just your house in a nice environment then it should be worth it.
tube power amps have been in use longer than solid state power amps for instrumentation. Tubes sound better to lots of people and if you like how tubes sound, then yes, get a tube power amp. I personally use a tube power amp and love the shit out of it. I have no idea where trav here gets his information but... it's wrong. sorry bud!

Its personal preference, if you like tubes, a solid state amp probably won't sound as good to you.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Tubes. Always.

As far as the midi stuff is concerned, my GMajor was set up kinda like that, with my old Behringer FCB1010. The top row of buttons (5-9) would change patches, while the bottom row (0-4) would turn on/off different effects. No idea how to set that up, as I prefer just to make a new preset, but it can be done.
you probably need the UNO firmware to make this happen. It can't be done with an axe with normal firmware. i currently have this set up on my ground control pro.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
tube power amps have been in use longer than solid state power amps for instrumentation. Tubes sound better to lots of people and if you like how tubes sound, then yes, get a tube power amp. I personally use a tube power amp and love the shit out of it. I have no idea where trav here gets his information but... it's wrong. sorry bud!

Its personal preference, if you like tubes, a solid state amp probably won't sound as good to you.
my knowledge of power amps is purely in a live show setting. but not for instrumentation :D

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
FWIW, solid state power amps have one big plus in their court: they're reliable, like an ugly girlfriend :lol:

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
For me, it's not really worth it to bother with tubes for the Axe-FX. I used my POD X3L with a tube power amp since I wasn't satisfied with it otherwise, but the power amp modeling in the Axe-FX is good enough that I'm happy to be rid of the extra weight and maintenance.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
For sound reinforcement, solid-state is definitely the way to go. They're lighter weight, more reliable, generally more transparent and have higher headroom.

People who prefer tube power for their guitar rigs usually like it because it has some mild distortion and compression when pushed hard. These attributes are pleasing to the ear for guitars, but not so much for an entire live mix.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been playing around with replacing my engl e530 with a pod, and to be honest i think the POD gets better tone and is more responsive on the low B of a 7 string.

I also took my engl 840/50 out of the rack and that thing is HEAVY, I will probably replace it with a solid state power amp soon. As long as you don't get it clipping it should be just as good as valve.

·
18,790 Posts
For sound reinforcement, solid-state is definitely the way to go. They're lighter weight, more reliable, generally more transparent and have higher headroom.

People who prefer tube power for their guitar rigs usually like it because it has some mild distortion and compression when pushed hard. These attributes are pleasing to the ear for guitars, but not so much for an entire live mix.
Hey, Darren, are you still using your Powerblock in your rig? I remember you were using it when we saw you in Toronto and it sounded really decent and definitely loud enough. I'm considering picking one up myself and was wondering if you had anything to add to your early positive reviews.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Yep... i'm back to the GT-6 + PowerBlock. It's been great... absolutely no complaints. The only thing i'd like more is if it were a 1U rackmount instead of an ovoid block. But it's been completely reliable, very quiet (but still plenty loud) and lightweight.

If i didn't have the PowerBlock, i'd probably be looking at the Carvin DCM200L.

·
18,790 Posts
Yep... i'm back to the GT-6 + PowerBlock. It's been great... absolutely no complaints. The only thing i'd like more is if it were a 1U rackmount instead of an ovoid block. But it's been completely reliable, very quiet (but still plenty loud) and lightweight.

If i didn't have the PowerBlock, i'd probably be looking at the Carvin DCM200L.
Cool stuff. I'm still browsing around trying to decide on what my amp rig will look like, and I keep bouncing between:

-affordable tube combo amp with 2 channels (leaning towards Blackstar or something used) and effects loop (for the POD should I want to use it)

-poweramp and cabs (start out with just a 1x12 or 2x12 guitar cab, but maybe pick up a cheap 2x10 bass cab for low-ish volume bass gigs)

-powered monitor (and direct to board for FOH)

The advantage to the first being simplicity of the rig and nice tube-y tone, the advantage to the other two being upgradeability and flexibility, should I decide to use it for both acoustic and electric tones (which is an idea I've had for my solo stuff in the future) or upgrade to an Axe-FX (which I'd love to do someday).

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
There's just so much wrong with this. Granted, if he were running a PA System and this huge sound setup, yeah, I'd agree with what Darren said.

But seeing as this for a guitar Pre, there shouldnt be any problem whatsoever.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
People forget that the Axe-FX does indeed model "tube tone" down to the biasing of the power section (Class A-->Class A/B with cold or warm bias). That doesn't mean it's a perfect copy, but when you use a tube power amp, you lose the ability to adjust that setting yourself (outside of the range of your own amp). Hence, to maximize the versatility of the unit, it's recommended that you use the most transparent power supplies, which is invariably a high quality solid state unit. By the same logic, it is advised that you use FRFR sound reinforcement equipment instead of traditional guitar cabs.

That doesn't mean one way or the other is wrong, but it certainly defeats the claim that you need to run a 2:90 or some such in order to get "tube tone."

FWIW, Tosin Abasi ditched his VHT power amp and Orange/G-Flex cabs for a powered Mackie FRFR unit. That's what he gigs and monitors with. It also makes it easy to adjust your patches for front of house sound.

:hsquid:: It's a power amp, not a pre. I disagree with the sentiment that it's too hot as well. I just think tubes are a hassle that aren't necessary.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
:hsquid:: It's a power amp, not a pre. I disagree with the sentiment that it's too hot as well. I just think tubes are a hassle that aren't necessary.
I think you misread me. I'm stating that the application for the Power amp is for powering a single guitar Preamp, not some kinda of PA system or whatever.

And my sentiment is that they arent too hot. Or are you disagreeing with someone else?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Yeah, you definately don't need a tube power amp for the AxeFX to sound good. The power amp/cab modeling is :yesway:. It even sounds good plugged into my cheap-ass stereo :lol:. Can't wait to try a powered FRFR monitor with it.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I think you misread me. I'm stating that the application for the Power amp is for powering a single guitar Preamp, not some kinda of PA system or whatever.

And my sentiment is that they arent too hot. Or are you disagreeing with someone else?
Was disagreeing with the guy with whom you were disagreeing. :cheers:

And the application for the power amp is not to power a single guitar preamp, but instead to power a speaker or set of speakers. Hence, it is identical to a PA system, except that PAs are typically larger (I don't know who has tube PA equipment, but I'd suspect you'd start at several hundred watts to handle a large bar instead of 10000 watts solid state or so...?). Anyway... :hsquid:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
And the application for the power amp is not to power a single guitar preamp, but instead to power a speaker or set of speakers. Hence, it is identical to a PA system, except that PAs are typically larger (I don't know who has tube PA equipment, but I'd suspect you'd start at several hundred watts to handle a large bar instead of 10000 watts solid state or so...?). Anyway... :hsquid:
I think you're splitting hairs here about application. I suppose i should have said it was just for a guitar amp. You're powering a single cabinet from a single source. You're doing anything elaborate.

Either way, he should get a Mesa 20/20. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts