Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an Ibanez RT650 that I discovered has some loose fret ends. On some, the fret is flatter than the fretboard radius, resulting in both fret ends being loose. When I use the superglue technique:

Trade Secrets! Newsletter at Stewart-MacDonald

on, say, the treble side, the bass side pops up higher. When I pound in the bass side, the treble side pops back up. I suppose the right way to do this is with a fret press, but is there a way with just a hammer? For example, if I pound in one side, how long will I have to wait to let the glue dry until I pound in the other side? 30 seconds? An hour? A day?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
You should probably let the glue cure for a while, keeping it clamped while it hardens.

However, it sounds like the best thing to do might be to pull the fret and bend it to a tighter radius. I suspect that if both ends are popping, even the superglue trick may not be a permanent fix.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
However, it sounds like the best thing to do might be to pull the fret and bend it to a tighter radius. I suspect that if both ends are popping, even the superglue trick may not be a permanent fix.
Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that, since I don't have fret pullers.

I think I'll try gluing down one side and letting it cure for a few days. If that doesn't work I'll resort to more drastic measures.

It's a bit tricky with this one, since the fretboard binding has shrunk with age (it's a 17-yo guitar). So there is a tiny gap between the fret end and binding on nearly all frets, but some more than others. I'm finding the problem frets with a fret rocker.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
If you have blunt nosed pliers you can pull the frets with a bit of care and patience, and then as darren says bend it to a more appropriate radius. :)
+1

If it comes down to it, with how loose it is, you could probably pull it up with a pair of wire cutters working slowly.

PS: When did I get this level of status? I'm more of a hack tech than anything. :lol:

·
Mr. Oni Guitars
1,366 Posts
I can tell you how to deal with this problem properly, but it's definitely high on the skill and patience requirement. How game are you?

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can tell you how to deal with this problem properly, but it's definitely high on the skill and patience requirement. How game are you?
I'm skilled and patient enough to have successfully done 4 fret level and crowns.

But that's with the right tools. If I had the right tools for this I'd pull the loose frets, re-radius them, and then hammer them back in, possibly with some glue.

Actually, now that I look, a fret puller is not too expensive, nor are fret bending pliers.

So yeah, I'm game.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1

If it comes down to it, with how loose it is, you could probably pull it up with a pair of wire cutters working slowly.

PS: When did I get this level of status? I'm more of a hack tech than anything. :lol:
You got this level of status when you got your Ibanez XPT700, and one of the first things you did was a fret level and crown :)

·
Mr. Oni Guitars
1,366 Posts
I'm skilled and patient enough to have successfully done 4 fret level and crowns.

But that's with the right tools. If I had the right tools for this I'd pull the loose frets, re-radius them, and then hammer them back in, possibly with some glue.

Actually, now that I look, a fret puller is not too expensive, nor are fret bending pliers.

So yeah, I'm game.
OK. I'll have to post the details later because I've got a ton of emails and computer stuff to do. There's no need to pull the frets ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
something seems odd here. IF you have nickel wire as opposed to stainless, you should be able to hammer them in carefully. As mentioned, the wire should be radiused to be the same as the board .

But if the wire keeps popping back up , it sounds like either your hammering technique is off (no offense intended) or there's a problem with the fret tang being too narrow or the fret slot being compromised from previous work done to it.

If you can snap a jpeg, that might help us. But in the way of practical advice, if oyu really want to fix your own guitars, spend the $15.00 on fret pullers. THey are an essential tool for guitar repair. You can also make your own if you buy the proper size end cut pliers and have a grinding wheel.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still eagerly anticipating your reply, dpm. I've been really busy with other things, so I'd be happy to hear what you have to say when you get the chance.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I vote refret

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Subscribed, this info will also help me.
Just talked to a tech on the phone. Apparently this may be an instrument where the frets weren't radiused before installation. That's a recipe for loose fret ends...

So the solution (and this is what I would have done had I had the right tools) is to remove, radius, and possibly crimp the tang of, the frets, then reseat them.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some real NGD pics when this is finally playable.

Edit: The minimum I would need in tools to do this myself would cost about $140 (fret puller, fret pliers for radiusing, and a fret crimper). But with a newborn at home I probably wouldn't have the time to actually do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts