Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why a Recto and not a MarkIV/V?
Why would you pick a Roadster over a Mark IV or a mark V? :confused:

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I would guess people who chose a Recto over a Mark just like the sound of a Recto more than the sound of a Mark. :scratch:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
I've tried both out and I don't really feel the mark as much, I'd buy it if I didn't play death metal because the crunch was awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would guess people who chose a Recto over a Mark just like the sound of a Recto more than the sound of a Mark. :scratch:
Well that's kind of what I'm wondering.
I own a Mark IVa and I've owned a Rectoverb and an old Black Face 2 channel
duel.
What is is that they like more (or like less about the Mark?)
I've owned a couple of rectos and I find that I can get my mark IV sounding really pretty heavy, but I get tht singing leas tone without jumping thru hoops to get it.
I wonder why someone like Chris or Drew who play more lead than chugga chuga wold choose the Roadster over a markIV or a V?

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Why pick a Strat over a Les Paul? Or a sandwich over a pizza for that matter? Different things that fulfill different needs in different ways.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Nick knows Drew and I well. I played a V before I bought the Roadster, and I while I liked the V a bunch, I knew that if I bought it I'd end up wishing I got the Roadster instead. It was (to me, anyway) just a matter of finding an amp that I really liked, being on the fence about it for a couple of months, and then going to Drew's and fucking with his for "the last time" before I had to have one of my own.

Plus I really can't get into the look of the Marks. The Recto heads just look more badass to me, but obviously that's slightly less important. :lol:

Edit, you also have a seriously slick 80's metal vibe going on with your playing that I can't quite get no matter how hard I try. If I had your chops, I'd have probably gone for the Mark instead.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris, Can you get a nice singing lead tone out of yours like a Mark IV?
I'm really curious here because I miss having a Recto and everytime I've plugged into a Roadster I freaking loved it, but I've never had a chance to play one at any real volume or for an extended period of time, it's alwasy been in a GC or at matts, but I'm really curious as to what specifically soundwise/feel wise pushed you towards the Roadser instead of a Mark IV/V?
and musictheoryJoey, someone would pick a strat over a les paul or vice versa for specific reasons, neck shape, body shape, fret size/feel, bolt on vs set neck hum vs single coil etc.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I didn't really get a chance to tear into the one V that I played enough, as I was in a music store and I hate being that guy. I like a lot of gain (though since jumping the fence to the tube side, I've been slowly rolling it back more and more) and I almost always solo exclusively with the neck pickup. I'll tell you that the Roadster sounds awesome, especially when you throw some volume at it, and one of the big things about it that I liked was that it kept 95% of that tone at low/bedroom volume as well.

The Mark lead tones would probably suit someone like Drew more than me, because you can really dial up some ripping shit with the Roadster, and I guarantee that they're knob configurations that Drew would never use, but he's a bluesy legato guy, and I just like to play fast. :lol: We need to hook up again sometime so that you can go to town with either mine or Drew's (or both :metal:) and see what you think after spending some time with it outside of music stores. It's the one amp that made me switch from being a 2101/solid state guy after 20 years of playing.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
It's the one amp that made me switch from being a 2101/solid state guy after 20 years of playing.
[action=Soopahmahn]waits for Chris to develop Engl gas.[/action]

Nick, the Rectos can definitely scream, but I always had your experience - I have yet to experience them doing something other than CHUGGGG while my Mark will sing all day if I ask it to. Nicely.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Ch3 vintage = singing leads.

That said, I've only used a mark IV patch on an axe-fx standard, have yet to try a mark series turned up. There is a mark V probably still at the local mesa dealer though, perhaps I"ll give it a whirl.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I just find my recto has this fat nasty tone thats perfect for pure brutary:lol: When i'v played marks, i like how crisp and to the punch they are, but to me they also lack a bit of character and flavor that the rectos have. Plus, i tune down to G#/drop f# and when i get my baritone, its going to be even lower with E. I find the recto is IMO better for lower tuned material

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Well that's kind of what I'm wondering.
I own a Mark IVa and I've owned a Rectoverb and an old Black Face 2 channel
duel.
What is is that they like more (or like less about the Mark?)
I've owned a couple of rectos and I find that I can get my mark IV sounding really pretty heavy, but I get tht singing leas tone without jumping thru hoops to get it.
I wonder why someone like Chris or Drew who play more lead than chugga chuga wold choose the Roadster over a markIV or a V?
Chris and Drew both have the Roadster though, which is considerably different than "regular" Rectos or the ROV. I personally found it was much easier getting a "singing" lead tone out of the Roadster than when I've played duals or triples. Maybe that's just my noobness though. Mike would be able to respond to that, since he owns one, and has compared it to Dave's old Roadster.

Plus I really can't get into the look of the Marks. The Recto heads just look more badass to me, but obviously that's slightly less important. :lol:
Are you playing the amp, or buying it dinner then fucking it? :rofl: j/k

[action=Soopahmahn]waits for Chris to develop Engl gas.[/action]
Why, so he can sound solid state again? :D

Nick, the Rectos can definitely scream, but I always had your experience - I have yet to experience them doing something other than CHUGGGG while my Mark will sing all day if I ask it to. Nicely.
I can definitely say it's really possible to get an awesome lead tone out of the Roadster in particular. It's a great amp, and very versatile. No, it doesn't get a Mark lead, but it's a case of flavor, not a case of one being better than the other, IMO.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Maybe that's just my noobness though. Mike would be able to respond to that, since he owns one, and has compared it to Dave's old Roadster.
They're pretty close, though the smaller power section of the Roadster - and the ability to be able to switch rectifiers for that channel - really do make a difference.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Interesting question, Nick, and I will preface the novel I'm about to write by saying that I REALLY like the Marks - I've never played a V (though I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work for me for reasons I'll get into), but I lusted after a IV for a long time.

A Mark-IV is a damned good sounding amp, but there were two things I never really cared for about it. One, Rhythm 2 was useless to me - it was sort of a light, crunchy distortion, good for rock (not even hard rock, just rock) but not much more. Two, the Lead channel, the de facto channel for heavy rhythm as well, didn't really have the sort of clear low end of the rectifiers. It sounded more rounded off and compressed, while the Rectos are just clear and tight and somehow more open. I had a hell of a time dialing in a rhythm tone I was really happy with. For as much as the Recto sound is almost a little bit of a cliche, there's a lot I like about it - bass that can go from tight and clear to absolutely huge, great upper midrange and great presence. It's just aggressive as hell and very expansive sounding, while the Mark rhythm tone tends to go towards hotwired Marshall thrash territory - smoothish high end (which I don't mind), all midrange with a lot of low mids, and relatively little in the low end. Lamb of God vs Nevermore, I guess.

I actually actively disliked Rectos for the longest time - good rhythm sounds, but they didn't seem like they could do anything else. It was only when I impulse-bought my Rectoverb after having a lot of fun tweaking it that my opinion changed, but even that wasn't particularly versatile - I could get a lead sound I liked by setting the treble to 0 on the gain channel, but even then it wasn't quite as smooth as I wanted. However, the Roadster really surprised me, since Channel 3 right out of the box IS much smoother and more liquid. It's not quite a Mark tone, but it's pretty close, and still leaves me a whole additional channel to dedicate to rhythm.

Which, incidentally, was my issue with the Mark-V. The clips sounded pretty decent - a bit more scooped sounding than I'd expected, but not half bad and it had me kind of wanting to play around with one. However, the channel layout was a problem - I LOVE the IV sound for leads, it's just a gorgeous distortion sound. However, it was also grouped on the same channel as the two sounds I'd want to use for rhythm, IIC+ or Extreme. Since I couldn't switch modes on the fly I was left with the same problem I had with the Nomad - the rhythm and lead sounds I liked were both on the same channel, so I couldn't footswitch between them. The Recto, different story.

What's funny is the Roadster doesn't sound radically different from my old Nomad, and I suspect that after dialing in the V I'd be able to also end up with tones pretty close to what I'm now getting from the Roadster (the IV, probably not). They sound like Mesas, and I think they share a lot of similarities in design, based on what my ears are telling me. However, the Roadster's big advantage is the channel layout just works for me in ways that the Nomad didn't and Mark V wouldn't.

It also DOES look pretty evil. :metal:

I like a lot of gain (though since jumping the fence to the tube side, I've been slowly rolling it back more and more)
Mwahahahahaha! :minions:

No, seriously, this doesn't surprise me at all. Half the fun of tube amps is the response - solid state amps excel at super high gain, but tube amps really sound their best, IMO, when they're NOT in extreme saturation. They just compress in different ways, it seems.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Chris and Drew both have the Roadster though, which is considerably different than "regular" Rectos or the ROV. I personally found it was much easier getting a "singing" lead tone out of the Roadster than when I've played duals or triples. Maybe that's just my noobness though. Mike would be able to respond to that, since he owns one, and has compared it to Dave's old Roadster.
In some respects, Mike is the wrong person to ask, since his lead style relies on individual note separation, which Rectos excel at. Having said that, you can get a singing lead out of any of the Rectos in modern mode, but it requires more mids than practically any other amp, along with keeping the presence really low. Volume also helps.

I think Rectos are far less forgiving than Marks. You can make them sing, but you have to hit them harder, and you have to be much more precise. The gain doesn't have a washed out character that you can hide behind.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
They DO give you a slightly more forward, less spongy attack, but these days I'm kind of digging that. I'd have used "burnished" rather than "washed out" - it's like someone has polished the notes coming out of a Mark, rounded off the rough edges a little, while with a Recto the rough edges are half the point.

I mean, it's more subtle than I'm making it out to be, but...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
You have the best of both worlds, though, since you can simply drop back to 50w, flip on the tube recto, and get the sponginess for your leads, while maintaining 100w/diode for rhythm. Plus, volume changes things, since a Recto will smooth out as the power section overdrives....

...somewhere north of 12:00. :lol:

Seriously, though, when I was thinking of "washed out", I was thinking more of the Soldano SLO than a Mark. The sort of gain where notes seem to melt into one another in fast runs, sounding similar to the "crashing wave" that Frank Gambale often describes. I absolutely love that sound, but it seems to be a product of the power section, rendering the amp only useful for lead. Case in point is Dual Rect R005, which we used for all our leads, and is completely wrong for anything but its sole purpose.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts