Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried out the made in Indonesia Jackson Adrian Smith guitar and I loved it. I really liked the matte finish on the neck and how slim it is. Felt smaller than EVH wolfgang special or Sterling JP100 but that could just be my imagination as it has been a while since I held those guitars. OVerall the guitar feels light but lately I have been fooling around with my Epi LP

So here's my question

1) Googling this guitar it mentions SDX which I assume stands for San Dimas X but isn't SD a Charvel thing? Are those two companies Jackson and Charvel both owned by the same company?

2) I like the HSS config (SSS would be nice too) is there a none signature version that has the same specs but perhaps cheaper?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I thought the Smith models were based on Strats, but if they're Dinkys then they're 7/8th size.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Jackson and Charvel are the same company. At one point the Jackson line was made in San Dimas. The Smith sig is based on a Jackson he has that was made in San Dimas. I don't think there's a cheaper version with similar specs, but ******* would know for sure.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
They're Strats with a different neck profile and headstock logo. I really liked how the one I played felt, but it sounded terrible.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Jackson/Charvel have been the same company since the early 80's and were originally just Charvel from San Dimas California staring in the late 70's. They moved from San Dimas to Ontario California in the mid 80's. The original shop was a mod shop for hot rodding Strats for better playability and adding things like humbuckers which was not offered by Fender at the time.

This started the San Dimas craze. Jackson/Charvel was exclusively a custom order shop until the import lines were introduced but they USA production was still built to order until Fender bought them in 2002.

The Charvel San Dimas line of guitars is a throw back to original city and the PO box that was on the neck plate and still is for Custom Shop and Pro Mod Charvel's built by Fender.

In the current Charvel world, there a terms that define certain specs. These are as follows:
San Dimas: Slightly modified Strat shape with a 3/8" round over and no pickgaurd
So-Cal: Same shape as the San Dimas but with a pickgaurd
Style 1 is a Strat shape
Style 2 is a Tele shape

About the Adrian Smith, since Jackson was a custom order shop you could get the Strat shape with either the Jackson or Chravel logo and since Fender was in limbo these actually could be ordered with a Strat headstock as well. That was what Adrian has as is old #1 and so his current Jackson sig is based on that old Jackson that was built in San Dimas, thus the name. But the USA and SDX are Strat shaped and are not under sized.

Fun fact, Jackson had 3 shapes at the beginning:
Soloist (Neck thru construction and sharper Strat shape with elongated and thinned horns and smaller than a Strat thru the waist and hips)
Dinky (Same as a Soloist but bolt on construction)
Rhoads

Later on the King V was added but after the Monstrous "Double Rhoads" was created. Some guys wanted smaller, lighter guitars so they had a shape called the "Super Soloist/Dinky" that many people call the "Short Horn Dinky" also in the mix was the RR Jr, which I have only seen one of in my life time.

Another Fun Fact, the common identifier of an Ontario VS San Dimas guitars, is the control cavity size. Since it was a custom order shop, either control cavity could be found on any guitar from any era depending on the needs of the electronics that were ordered on the guitar. The main reason you see the larger cavity on the Ontario guitars is because the "standard" electronics package had the Mid-boost circuit that needed the larger cavity.

I love talking about this stuff so let me know if this helps you :yesway:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Thank you so much for the great information.

Didn't know Jackson/Charvel relationship nor the existence of a Tele shaped Charvel!

So the Smith is a strat with a thinner neck?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Well and a floyd, and a 2 knob pickguard and other stuff but in general, yes a thin necked strat.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Jackson/Charvel have been the same company since the early 80's and were originally just Charvel from San Dimas California staring in the late 70's. They moved from San Dimas to Ontario California in the mid 80's. The original shop was a mod shop for hot rodding Strats for better playability and adding things like humbuckers which was not offered by Fender at the time.

This started the San Dimas craze. Jackson/Charvel was exclusively a custom order shop until the import lines were introduced but they USA production was still built to order until Fender bought them in 2002.

The Charvel San Dimas line of guitars is a throw back to original city and the PO box that was on the neck plate and still is for Custom Shop and Pro Mod Charvel's built by Fender.

In the current Charvel world, there a terms that define certain specs. These are as follows:
San Dimas: Slightly modified Strat shape with a 3/8" round over and no pickgaurd
So-Cal: Same shape as the San Dimas but with a pickgaurd
Style 1 is a Strat shape
Style 2 is a Tele shape

About the Adrian Smith, since Jackson was a custom order shop you could get the Strat shape with either the Jackson or Chravel logo and since Fender was in limbo these actually could be ordered with a Strat headstock as well. That was what Adrian has as is old #1 and so his current Jackson sig is based on that old Jackson that was built in San Dimas, thus the name. But the USA and SDX are Strat shaped and are not under sized.

Fun fact, Jackson had 3 shapes at the beginning:
Soloist (Neck thru construction and sharper Strat shape with elongated and thinned horns and smaller than a Strat thru the waist and hips)
Dinky (Same as a Soloist but bolt on construction)
Rhoads

Later on the King V was added but after the Monstrous "Double Rhoads" was created. Some guys wanted smaller, lighter guitars so they had a shape called the "Super Soloist/Dinky" that many people call the "Short Horn Dinky" also in the mix was the RR Jr, which I have only seen one of in my life time.

Another Fun Fact, the common identifier of an Ontario VS San Dimas guitars, is the control cavity size. Since it was a custom order shop, either control cavity could be found on any guitar from any era depending on the needs of the electronics that were ordered on the guitar. The main reason you see the larger cavity on the Ontario guitars is because the "standard" electronics package had the Mid-boost circuit that needed the larger cavity.

I love talking about this stuff so let me know if this helps you :yesway:
And I love reading this stuff:yesway:

So they actually re-branded actual strats? I'm not super familiar with the beginning of all this.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Not at first, I believe they just modified existing strats. Shaving down the necks, refretting with jumbo frets, putting humbuckers in, adding floyd rose trems etc...

Then shortly after that they started branding their own guitars and making parts, after Wayne Charvel sold the company to Grover Jackson, I believe.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
And I love reading this stuff:yesway:

So they actually re-branded actual strats? I'm not super familiar with the beginning of all this.
No they didnt rebrand anything, they made necks with a strat headstock. Fender put a stop to that in the early 90's and you got the amorphous headstock until Fender bought Jackson in 2002 and it was back to Strat heads :metal:

Amorphous crap:

Sooooo much better:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
A shame too, since they put out some killer guitars with that piece of shit headstock :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
So they totally made Necks from scratch.

Always thought they initially only would pick up a Client regular Strat and then Mod the shit out of it according to Client specs and the Custom Made Necks would come up much later.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
So they totally made Necks from scratch.

Always thought they initially only would pick up a Client regular Strat and then Mod the shit out of it according to Client specs and the Custom Made Necks would come up much later.
They would definitely mod stuff in the early Charvel days but it would not be rebranded. The mod shop was closed by the time it became Jackson/Charvel :yesway:

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
At least in the US the strat headstock went away by the time the import "Model" series started up in the mid 80s. Jackson was still able to put it on Custom Shop guitars, like Adrian's, but Fender trademarked the headstock sometime in the late 80s and they had to stop that as well.

There were strathead Charvels available in Japan in the 90s, but then there were Tokias and Fernandes guitars with it too. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts

Actually, USA Production started in 1990, under Akai - it was never huge numbers, but that was the first year of "stock" Jacksons (and the UXXXXXX serial numbers on neck-thrus).

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Actually, USA Production started in 1990, under Akai - it was never huge numbers, but that was the first year of "stock" Jacksons (and the UXXXXXX serial numbers on neck-thrus).
Yeah but even then, the things like pickup config, bridge, and paint color were order-able with a short lead time. At least according to the records and remaining staff from that era still at FMIC.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts