Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions for you dudes. If you were to play an all ages show or even at a bar, what do you expect from a venue(not a promoter)?

What do you expect for the P.A?

What do you want from a P.A?

What do you expect as far as amenities?

What do you normally get as far as amenities?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
What do you expect for the P.A? monitors with at least a separate drum mix and a decent FOH speaker setup. Sound check!

What do you want from a P.A? at least 4 different monitor sends one for vocals, drums and then two to share amongst the guitars and bass.

What do you expect as far as amenities? Green room backstage with a guard or two and a place to keep my cases. Complimentary water. Other drinks/snacks are a plus but not expected.

What do you normally get as far as amenities? have only had the guarded green room once and the water once (same venue) Other than that we usually only get a green room/gear area.

As far as other comments what are you looking for?

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just general thoughts really.

I'm in the middle of opening an all ages venue in victoria and we are polling the promoters and bands in our area so i figured I'd send this out over here as i know a lot of you are actively gigging.

·
Grumpy Old Fart
1,025 Posts
In my experience there's a huge range of expectations and a huge range of reality. A lot depends on what you're playing, how often the hosting venue has bands, etc.

I've seen a lot of clubs say they have a "Pro" PA provided only to show up to see a small powered head and a pair of shitty speakers (monitors optional).

I don't do the original scene any more but in my experience, those are the worst set ups, potential rip offs, and disappointments.

The best advise I can give you is, go check out the place for yourself and see exactly what you're dealing with. When in doubt, ask questions, the more detailed the better.

I'm older than most of you guys and we only do mid and high dollar shows and our expectations are pretty high. I also have a full PA that I can pack in if the house system isn't as "Pro" as I'd hoped. Even in that scene the venues range wildly.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
If you were to play an all ages show or even at a bar, what do you expect from a venue(not a promoter)?

Most live venue's have a website and usually a weekly radio-spot or advertising space in a local publication. I usually expect to get a spot in either on or all of them, depending on how they're formatted (ie. the local venue only features two or three shows in their radio spot [typically national acts] but they do a full listing of upcoming shows in their print ad). Fliers or a board with upcoming shows listed inside of the venue itself is typical, also.

At the actual show, I expect the bar/club to be open at least an hour before the doors are supposed to be open to take care of any technical issues that might arise. More often than not they at least supply the guy who checks ID's at the door and dispenses wristbands if necessary. Either that guy or someone else as security.

Oh, and a sound guy.

I expect at least one monitor, at least one direct into the board line (for assorted things, but keyboard in most cases). a microphone for the lead singer and a mic for a second vocalist. The speakers facing the crowd usually aren't an issue, but more often than not they're 2x15" towers or better. Power-wise, at least enough to handle pushing vocals above the stage volume (duh).

Three monitors across the front and a monitor for the drummer (all with dedicated "monitor only" signals from the board). Enough mics for all vocalists, at least one drum mic, mics for both guitar amps, a full set of drum mics or at least inputs (depending on the size of the venue), and a few direct inputs for bass+keyboards+whatever.

Stuff out of the frontend, still not a big deal to me but a few towers (preferably hanging from the ceiling) and subs are nice.

Nothing really. Maybe access to tap water?

Usually at least "backstage" even if it just consists of a little spot to setup some gear before you need to load onto the stage. More often then not a rear entrance to make bringing stuff in a little easier, and a convenient place to duck out for a piss break.

Again, at least water from the bar but 50% of the time, a drink ticket or two.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Vermont and New York are two very different places. Here's what my experiences are for each:

VT: Enough for vocals to beat out stage volume. Two or three vocal mics. At least one monitor for the singer, sometimes more if the place is bigger. Generally the rigs carry the room, with occasional DI for bass or a mic for a guitar combo.
NY: Vocals, keys, bass, mic'd guitar through the PA. Low stage volume, most of the heavy lifting done by the PA. Two to three monitors.

VT: At least three front monitors and one for the drummer. Three or four mics, space for keys, and a DI for bass if needed.
NY: All of the above, except the bass generally has to go through the PA.

VT: Some liquid refreshment, generally alcoholic. Cheaper drinks or free drinks or drink tickets is the norm.
NY: I haven't played many shows here, but you usually get cheaper drinks and maybe some bar food.

VT: Depends on the place; from drink tickets or half-off drinks to free pizza and beer.
NY: Jack shit; occasionally water, beer, or slices of pizza.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I expect at minimum mic'd kick, mic'd lead vocals, 1 mic for bgv or something else, a drum monitor, and 1-2 front monitors, a decent sound check, decent mains, a competent sound guy, decent mics that stay plugged in

at least 2 mics from drums, a mic for each guitar with sound shields as an option, line in or mic for bass, a decent number of monitors with the option for a separate mix for each, 1-3 vocal mics, decent mains, competent sound guy

a water supply (either bottles or a reliable clean tap), parking space, load-in area that isn't a main door, secure, climate-control area to store cases/extra gear (either locked room or someone watching it), a merch area with NO house merch cut, working restrooms.

water, a gear area (secure or non-secure), whatever door or parking is available, sometimes a merch area

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Basically what Randy said, but with less words and a little more:

*Advertisement:
Radio commercials and local publication ads

My town (Austin) has two rock stations and a major weekly local cultural magazine.

*Not just a sound guy, but a good sound guy.
Just about every place here has a house sound guy, but only a couple really know how to work it.
The ability for whatever my band members need to hear each other.
Nothing is more crucial to make sure we're tight on a set. Having enough monitor speakers makes it. I myself don't need a monitor, but everyone else in the band does.

*COLD Bottled Water
Not all places have it, some don't stock enough in a fridge.

*A SAFE place to leave our gear before and after the set.
I really hate it when we have to switch who watches the gear which is usually the case...

It all really depends on what club/bar you play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts