Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trade happening tomorrow on a Crate Blue Voodoo cab - the owner assures me that this is one that has V30's in it and my research mostly backs that up.

It has a switch on back that changes the the way the signal flows, I guess, and allows the cab to run at different impedance (see photo.)

I'm confused, though. As I understand it, you can wire a 4x12 cabinet with 8ohm speakers to run at 16ohms and you can wire a 2x12 cabinet with 16ohm speakers to run at 8ohms - but you can't wire a 4x12 cabinet with 16ohm speakers to run at 8ohm unless you eliminate two speakers.

So... the speakers in this cabinet should be 8ohm, correct?

I suspect there's probably someone here who's owned a Blue Voodoo cab and would know off the top of his head that the V30's in it are 8ohm.

The issue is that the amp I'm going to plug into it is 8ohm.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The switch and inputs run like this
4ohm mono (all 4 speakers)
16ohm mono (all 4 speakers)
8ohm stereo (2 speakers each side, each at 8 ohms)

It's a standard connection setup.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Also as a rule of thumb, you can run a head into a higher load but not a lower load.

IE head is 8ohms, you can run it into an 8 ohm or 16 ohm cab however you can't run it into a 4 ohm cab or you may blow something up.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Budda - I will. I'm taking my screw gun with me. :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Good man. When I traded my upgraded peavey cab to a store towards a guitar they opened it up to make sure I was being honest. They believed me but have to do it anyway.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I used to have a BV cab that looked exactly like that one and I'm fairly certain it had Crate speakers and not V30s. Yeah, it might be a good idea to bring a screwdriver and a flashlight to double check. It's easier to just take off one of the side handles and look inside, instead of taking the whole back panel off.

·
Black Aquaman
795 Posts
I JUST sold a BV 120 half stack with the same cab. They are in fact V30's made overseas. 8 ohm switchable to 16. worth mentioning that this is switchable between mono and stereo.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Pretty sure they're not V30s in that cab. Mainly because V30s are 70w a piece and that cab is rated to 200w. Probably just some basic Celestion 50w drivers in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts